Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces
[Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65515] Mon, 03 January 2011 05:06 Go to next message
tman is currently offline  tman
Chancellor
Here I am for other quite stupid questions of mine!
I'm afraid to be trying hard your patience: I hope I have a newbie
immunity...! Very Happy

Must the insulation sheets hanged on the upper braces reach the
bottom of the speaker? Or have they to stop to the lower ones?
And must they be well fastened down? Or have they better to sway?
I'm not sleeping about it... Embarassed
Re: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65521 is a reply to message #65515] Mon, 03 January 2011 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The insulation on the braces should span the cross-section left to right and front to back, sort of like making "compartments" inside the speaker. The sound has to pass through the insulation to get to the port. It blocks midrange but bass passes right through. Like this:

index.php?t=getfile&id=75
Re: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65522 is a reply to message #65521] Mon, 03 January 2011 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thank you again, all is clear now! Thumbs Up
I was on a misunderstanding: I thought I had to cross the cabinet
up and down...! Laughing
Is it so evident that English is not my mother language?
Re: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65568 is a reply to message #65522] Wed, 05 January 2011 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
It has nothing to do with your english as I thought exactly the same as you =)
Re: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65569 is a reply to message #65568] Wed, 05 January 2011 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I console myself, than! Very Happy
I hope you didn't close the cabinets yet...
Re: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65588 is a reply to message #65569] Thu, 06 January 2011 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne,
In the picture provided is that the 2pi tower without the baffle?

If so you have 3 sets of braces but I would swear the plans say I would use 2 braces. 1 set under the woofer and the other set 15" up from the bottom. Did you just maybe make a place for the insulation to sit up at the top of the cab and maybe it isnt a brace?
You also say the braces should be slightly preloaded. Does this mean that you would build the cab as shown without the baffle and the braces cut ever so slightly bigger so they have to be somewhat forced into the cab creating a tight fit?
Re: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65590 is a reply to message #65588] Thu, 06 January 2011 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right, only two sets of braces are required, one 1/3rd the way from the top (just under the midwoofer) and the other 1/3rd the way up from the bottom. They should have insulation sitting on them, spanning the cross-section.

That photo was one of Shane's builds, and he put in an extra brace. That's OK, but not required. The reason I posted this photo was to show how the insulation siting on top of the braces spans the cross-section of the cabinet.

Re: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65598 is a reply to message #65590] Thu, 06 January 2011 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
excellent thank you =)
Re: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65617 is a reply to message #65598] Fri, 07 January 2011 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
How is the insulation attached to the walls of the cab? With some kind of adhesive?
Re: [Pi2 Tower] Insulation on braces [message #65618 is a reply to message #65598] Fri, 07 January 2011 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I use white glue. Works perfectly. You might think it would tear away, but I've had speakers out there like that for decades, some that have been moved a lot. So it works well.

Cut a sheet of insulation to size, take the vapor barrier backing off, run a long beads all around on the surface of the wood you want to attach the insulation to. Then just press it into place.

At one time I tacked the insulation in with staples. It's fast and easy. But occasionally the staples come out over time, and you'll find them stuck to a magnet or bouncing around inside, even worse. That caused me to rethink the staples idea, and I never do it that way anymore. It's easier to tack in the insulation with a staple gun, but I don't think it's as good as white glue.

Previous Topic: Help with tweeter to woofer distance please
Next Topic: 2 pi tower baffle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:02:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout