Home » Audio » Speaker » Impedance
Impedance [message #65471] Thu, 30 December 2010 23:09 Go to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
So, to make a long story short. I have 3-ways with the tweeter and mid rated at 8 ohms and a woofer rated at 10 ohms.

I wanna make the woofer 8 ohms by wiring some components in series with the hot pole. I think the woofer is a little too restrained and it can most definitely handle the current thrown at it. (240watt speakers, 100wpc amp with no pre-amp, so more like 25 watts of total watts per channel)

I just need an inductor to reverse the resistance right? Or won't that block the signal from getting to a speaker?

Is there any way I can wire some BS resistors in a ladder to get them speakers at 8 ohms?

Maybe the difference between 10 and 8 is not enough to really affect the perceived output?

The other issue is that maybe the speaker is rated at 10 ohms but is operating at 8 ohms due to the crossover?

Tough questions. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Impedance [message #65473 is a reply to message #65471] Fri, 31 December 2010 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't change the impedance just for the sake of matching. Just design the crossover for each driver's load and call it good. Also match voltage sensitivities so each driver plays the same SPL at the same drive voltage. Their impedances aren't way different, so unless one driver is much more efficient than the others, their voltage sensitivities should be about the same.

Re: Impedance [message #65479 is a reply to message #65471] Fri, 31 December 2010 11:29 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's what I've been thinking. Nothing to see here...move along. Not worth the hassle.

Thanks Wayne. You confirmed my decision to leave them as originally designed.

Previous Topic: Hole on Sub Woofers
Next Topic: Subwoofers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:33:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout