Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Building Your Own Speakers
Building Your Own Speakers [message #65355] Sun, 19 December 2010 09:25 Go to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
I've seen this on customized vehicles but I haven't seen one on houses. Maybe I need to widen my circle of friends who are sound techies.

If you have the money and the resources, would you like to have a customized speaker in your house or just buy a good quality speaker?
Re: Building Your Own Speakers [message #65356 is a reply to message #65355] Sun, 19 December 2010 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This whole website is dedicated to that sort of thing. Do some searches here, you'll find some amazing stuff.

Re: Building Your Own Speakers [message #65357 is a reply to message #65355] Sun, 19 December 2010 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't mean to be repetitive, but I've had the same pair of 240watt 3-way floor standing speakers for almost 20 years, which is most of my life, so I probably would have to be absolutely blown away by something else to replace them. Their sonic signature has become almost mandatory for me. I know the speakers well enough for them to be my reference speakers.

I would do everything else though. Non-Parallel walls and ceilings, carpeted walls, self-made Bass traps. A custom room with no windows and a flat flush door. I would actually remove the central heat and air ducts from the room too.

I would add a couple 1000 watt subwoofers, wired in stereo, putting out 20-80hz only, rolled off at -3 or -6db at 40-80hz. Those subs would have to be massive.

I would decorate the room a bit too, since you want some reflections of high frequencies or the stereo image gets lost. You really want the cymbal crashes coming from the side. Maybe some framed records on the side walls.

Re: Building Your Own Speakers [message #65544 is a reply to message #65357] Tue, 04 January 2011 01:15 Go to previous message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Thanks for that reply. I guess I just need to read all the topics here to get an idea how to customized my home sound system.
Previous Topic: Recycling, Reusing, or Dump
Next Topic: Tape or what?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:00:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout