Home » Audio » Speaker » Hole on Sub Woofers
Hole on Sub Woofers [message #65318] Fri, 17 December 2010 06:44 Go to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
What is the purpose of the hole of sub woofers? Does it mean the bigger the hole, the greater the sound output will be? Will my sub woofer be damaged if I cover the cover?
Re: Hole on Sub Woofers [message #65324 is a reply to message #65318] Fri, 17 December 2010 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Which hole are you talking about? Is it on the back of the magnet of the driver itself? That's a cooling vent. Or is it a hole in the box? That's a tuning port.

Re: Hole on Sub Woofers [message #65353 is a reply to message #65324] Sun, 19 December 2010 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 11:16

Which hole are you talking about? Is it on the back of the magnet of the driver itself? That's a cooling vent. Or is it a hole in the box? That's a tuning port.

My sub woofer has only one hole and it is in front of it. Most sub woofers have a hole though and is that how the low decibels are produced?
Re: Hole on Sub Woofers [message #65358 is a reply to message #65318] Sun, 19 December 2010 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm going to assume any enclosure traps waveforms and based on that, I would also assume the holes negotiate exactly which frequencies escape over a certain period.

I'm just guessing here, but too small would probably sound blocky and resonate and too big would sound dead.

There is a pacing issue too. Lows have to arrive at your ear at a relatively close time as the mids and highs, of course, this would have to be stepped in a way. The bass going the wrong direction or emphasizing the wrong frequencies will arrive late and destroy the pace.

In other words, you have to dial back the lows a bit to have a closer speed to the mids or they won't blend.

You wouldn't mix an album with the bass delayed, so I doubt you'd want to hear an album that way either.

Let's see if I am any good at assumptions Smile

"Vented Speaker Systems" [message #65359 is a reply to message #65353] Sun, 19 December 2010 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a tuning port. The box becomes a Helmholtz resonator. This is often called a called bass-reflex cabinet.

Suggested reading:
Re: "Vented Speaker Systems" [message #65360 is a reply to message #65359] Sun, 19 December 2010 10:21 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the link Wayne. It's good to learn something that I've never really had to because it has always been a constant.

Previous Topic: Best computer speakers?
Next Topic: Impedance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:00:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout