Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » tube sources needed
tube sources needed [message #8483] Thu, 30 September 2004 15:22 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Hurting for a good source for 7189A tubes ----No! Not the ones for $49.95 each either! I really like my Sansui 500Areceiver but---the tubes are a killin' Me! It's a major socket re-wire to go to 7189s----anybody gotta source?? Jim

Re: tube sources needed [message #8484 is a reply to message #8483] Thu, 30 September 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
metasonix is currently offline  metasonix
Viscount
Sorry--real 7189As are extremely scarce, and getting more so every day. And you should be very leery of fakes. It's easy to print "7189A" onto a cheap modern EL84, and hard to prove it isn't real. Several Hong Kong dealers are doing this, and their "handiwork" is starting to pop up on the websites of American tube dealers. (I'd tell you who, but he'd just sue me.)

Suggest getting VTV issue 8, at least you'll have good clean photos of the real thing for comparison.

Email me and I'll tell you which dealers to AVOID...
synth@metasonix.com

KT-88 amp in VTV [message #8485 is a reply to message #8484] Thu, 30 September 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Eric,

Good seeing you, and I'm glad you're steering Jim right on this deal. He lives near me and he's a good guy.

Listen, sorry to derail the thread but John mentioned building a KT-88 push-pull amp from plans in Vacuum Tube Valley magazine. Do you know what issue it's in?

Wayne

Re: KT-88 amp in VTV [message #8486 is a reply to message #8485] Fri, 01 October 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne,

I think it's the same amp that Eric recommended to me last week in issue #19.

Gar.

Re: KT-88 amp in VTV [message #8487 is a reply to message #8486] Fri, 01 October 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep thats it, only it's in mono blocks and I have stereo power trans. She's a beauty!

Re: KT-88 amp in VTV [message #8488 is a reply to message #8487] Fri, 01 October 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You know, I never understood the full benefit of the monoblock configuration of separating the chassis by channel. For me, it makes more sense to have a Power Supply chassis and Gain chassis, as opposed to right/left blocks.

Gar.

Re: KT-88 amp in VTV [message #8489 is a reply to message #8488] Fri, 01 October 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Probably it allows you too place the amplifiers as close as possible to each speaker and it also requires less lifting, which could be a concern for some of those big old amps.

Re: KT-88 amp in VTV [message #8495 is a reply to message #8486] Fri, 01 October 2004 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks, I have that issue. It's on page 26 - the Eckland article about the Williamson circuit. I guess I had forgotten this article as I read the magazine about 6 months ago. This might have been the first issue I ever read; I don't know, but it's an impressive magazine with that article showing the full layout, schematics and the whole nine yards.

Vacuum Tube Valley, Issue 19

That issue also has an article by Kittleson with an equally in-depth write-up of the Craftsmen C500 amp with layouts and schematics and everything. There's a good comparison of several tube types too, which I thought was an interesting read. And then, of course, the Maven Peal ad. Gotta love it!

Thanks for reminding me to look this up. That issue is a "must have" magazine for sure. I think maybe I'll have to build one of those amps too.

Re: KT-88 amp in VTV [message #8500 is a reply to message #8488] Sat, 02 October 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree. The Kt88 amp I built uses that setup, i.e., separate power supply. Keeps all the dc stuff off the gain chassis. (assuming you rectify the power tubes heater voltages) However, the idea of an umbilcal after the power supply bothered me, so I took the advice of my local Mcintosh repairman/friend who installed the last cap bank after the coil IN THE GAIN CHASSIS, where it is nice and close to the output transformer. It passes beautiful bass signals on the scope with surprisingly low distortion for a tube amp. It does have a large power supply, with 8 1500 mfd 450 volt photo flash caps and 10 mhy 300 ma coils. I want that VTV amp bad, bought that back issue, but crikey, the cost of the plitron iron is VERY high!

Russellc

you guys seem to be treading quite close to this one... [message #8627 is a reply to message #8495] Sun, 19 December 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
from the rules page:
Cooperative alliances whereby one party posts about another so that product announcement rules can be circumvented are prohibited. If we see these kinds of relationships develop, we will consider the parties to represent one another, whether a financial relationship exists or not. In other words, if you consistently support a particular person or company, we will view you as a representative of that person or organization even if you're not currently on their payroll.

Soooo, what sort of cooperation is behind this?
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Cassis
Next Topic: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:52:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers