Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » A question of wood thickness
A question of wood thickness [message #65197] Wed, 08 December 2010 07:17 Go to next message
tman is currently offline  tman
Chancellor
To build Pi2 Towers you recommend to use panel of 5/8" (that is
almost 16mm). But if I want to cover them with a foil of 4mm
plywood, must I use panels of 12mm? Or have I better to use panels
of 14mm (for example), making a little larger port?

And what about mdf for panels? Is it a good solution?
Re: A question of wood thickness [message #65198 is a reply to message #65197] Wed, 08 December 2010 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

MDF is wonderful material for these speakers. Since the port length of the two π tower is set by its rear panel thickness, the Helmholtz frequency is a function of the thickness of the wood. Here are some recommended hole sizes for various panel thicknesses:
  • 1" thick panel => 4-3/4" diameter port cutout
  • 3/4" panel thickness => 4-5/8" diameter port cutout
  • 5/8" panel thickness => 4-1/2" diameter port cutout.

Re: A question of wood thickness [message #65200 is a reply to message #65198] Wed, 08 December 2010 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Many thanks! Smile

But are there remarkable differences in "sound" between 5/8"
and 3/4" thick panels (for example)?
Re: A question of wood thickness [message #65202 is a reply to message #65200] Wed, 08 December 2010 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No differences in measurements or subjectively (at least to my ears) between various wood thicknesses, provided the braces are installed. You should have an internal cross-brace one-third the way up from the bottom and another one-third the way down from the top, just under the woofer. Those are what really prevent the panels from vibrating. Don't forget to put insulation on the braces too, spanning the cross-section of the cabinet.

Re: A question of wood thickness [message #65203 is a reply to message #65202] Wed, 08 December 2010 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thank you again!

I think I'll choose the 3/4", due to the foils of plywood.
Otherwise the inner panels would have been to thin and hard
to assemble...
Re: A question of wood thickness [message #65222 is a reply to message #65203] Thu, 09 December 2010 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
index.php?t=getfile&id=286&private=0

Cut these "window panes" with the same saw seting, at the same time, as the top and bottom pieces. They help square the cabinet during glue-up and then function as braces.
Re: A question of wood thickness [message #65224 is a reply to message #65222] Fri, 10 December 2010 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Bill Epstein wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 22:02

Cut these "window panes" with the same saw seting, at the same time, as the top and bottom pieces. They help square the cabinet during glue-up and then function as braces.

That's a good tip, thank you! Smile

And what about using screws (with abundant glue of course) to
assemble? Would it be wrong?
After I'll cover all with plywood...
Re: A question of wood thickness [message #65235 is a reply to message #65224] Sat, 11 December 2010 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
And what about using screws (with abundant glue of course) to
assemble? Would it be wrong?

Not "wrong" just something I no longer use. I never liked having to fill the screw holes but worst of all, even when clamped, sometimes the torque of the screw would move the pieces. I also gave up on 18ga. nail gun nails, especially in MDF because they bend going in and come out all over the place.

Eschewing fasteners, once mastered, is easier and faster. The latest bar clamps from Bessey and Jorgensen with their square jaws really help, too.
Re: A question of wood thickness [message #65236 is a reply to message #65235] Sat, 11 December 2010 07:23 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Confused No screws, then...
I wanted to economize on clamps... Embarassed

Thank you.
Previous Topic: Attaching Crossover Components
Next Topic: Best choice for my set up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 15 09:21:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects