Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 11BM8 tube amp kits
11BM8 tube amp kits [message #8441] Fri, 10 September 2004 14:56 Go to next message
Don Appleby is currently offline  Don Appleby
Esquire
Anyone here build one of the amp kits at www.tubesandmore.com?

Re: 11BM8 tube amp kits [message #8442 is a reply to message #8441] Sat, 11 September 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Don,

I built the K-502 stereo integrated amplifier kit and use it with a pair of single-driver Fostex speakers. The amp performs way above its price point.

e

Re: 11BM8 tube amp kits [message #8443 is a reply to message #8442] Sat, 11 September 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don Appleby is currently offline  Don Appleby
Esquire

Cool. I think I'll have to try one then. At that price, it's kind of a no brainer, hard to pass it up.

Have you modded yours? Could it use better transformers and caps? I would guess that is where cost cutting was done.

Thanks, Don

Re: 11BM8 tube amp kits [message #8444 is a reply to message #8443] Sat, 11 September 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Don,

For $125 or so, it really is a no-brainer. Although I'm sure it could use better transformers and caps, the real weak point is probably the potentiometer. I built mine bone stock, precisely so I could hear how it sounded "as is" and without designer parts. I'm using it in a dusty environment -- my garage/shop (lots of speaker-related MDF dust, evil stuff) -- and the open (not potted) pot understandably got dust in it. I try not to change the volume too much. This should not be a real problem in most settings, but the pot is a cheap affair and the amp would probably benefit from a better one.

e

Re: 11BM8 tube amp kits [message #8445 is a reply to message #8441] Mon, 13 September 2004 06:41 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI DOn,
I built one stock. Listening impressions have been already recorded on audioroundtable, at the thread starting at:
http://www.audioroundtable.com/Tubes/messages/51.html
It sounds pretty good. I plan on changing the caps. I'm going to leave the trannies stock, since imho it would destroy the cost effectiveness of the amp to do that. Actually, it sounds pretty good stock. Read more at:

Previous Topic: SET Kits
Next Topic: Poll - SE / PP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:57:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout