Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Audio Editing System
Audio Editing System [message #65089] Wed, 01 December 2010 20:07 Go to next message
compguy is currently offline  compguy
Chancellor
I am in the process of building a computer that will be used specifically for editing the audio of various personal compositions. The sound card I have in my system now is only 144 Khz sampling and the sound is not the quality I need to create a CD. What is the best sound card (money is no object) I need?
Re: Audio Editing System [message #65114 is a reply to message #65089] Thu, 02 December 2010 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Don't worry about sample rate. 44.1 or 48 is just fine. The thing is that every single thing in the signal chain has to be studio quality to get any extra mileage. I was recording myself with 192Khz and found it to sound far worse than 48Khz because of the microphone's inability to reach that high in the sound spectrum. It can't get to 22hz either. The harmonics of very high order audio are extremely critical. It is best to leave them out beyond 24Khz unless you can do it flawlessly.

There is no such thing as 32-bit audio yet and don't let anyone tell you different. It all gets converted down to 24 before it's all said and done.

Re: Audio Editing System [message #65115 is a reply to message #65089] Thu, 02 December 2010 12:45 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As far as sound cards. They are all very good these days with a 24-bit 10-96Khz range being standard. Do some research on the tonal characteristics of different op amps and find out who's selling a card using them.

Previous Topic: Programs Like Audacity?
Next Topic: Keyboard for Beginners?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 14:51:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout