Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » position is everything
position is everything [message #25087] Thu, 07 June 2007 14:38 Go to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
I was told that you should corner your subwoofer instead of centering it. I dont know how true that is but honestly with it centered or cornered, it all sounded the same to me.
Re: position is everything [message #25096 is a reply to message #25087] Thu, 27 September 2007 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
I learned that if you want your surround sound to sound just like that, you have to surround your room with your speakers correctly. Thats the key word I guess. "surround."
Re: position is everything [message #25100 is a reply to message #25096] Thu, 04 October 2007 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gilipsie is currently offline  Gilipsie
Viscount
That is true, you want to stick with the corners as well as the top of the walls. I have my small speakers on the top of my ceilings and some of my speakers are located in the corners of my room.
Re: position is everything [message #25108 is a reply to message #25100] Fri, 05 October 2007 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
willyable is currently offline  willyable
Viscount
How did you get your speakers on your ceiling?
Re: position is everything [message #25111 is a reply to message #25108] Sat, 06 October 2007 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jarnold is currently offline  Jarnold
Chancellor
My friend has speakers on his ceiling and its usually installed by like platforms and nails.
Re: position is everything [message #25114 is a reply to message #25111] Mon, 08 October 2007 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If I may make a suggestion: Use CARA to help analyze the room before deciding on speaker placement. That will help you understand the modal behavior, energy distribution and tonal balance throughout the room. Then if you're really serious, use something like Smaart to measure the room after setting the system up. You can adjust the placement of each speaker and identify trouble spots, perhaps adding dampers and absorbent materials in strategic places to fine-tune the room.

Re: position is everything [message #25122 is a reply to message #25114] Sat, 13 October 2007 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gilipsie is currently offline  Gilipsie
Viscount
That is new to me, I didn't think it was that serious or could get that serious rather. Is that what they use when putting theatres together or building a theatre room in homes?
Re: position is everything [message #25124 is a reply to message #25122] Sat, 13 October 2007 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, professionals use equipment like that to optimize an installation.

Re: position is everything [message #64930 is a reply to message #25087] Sat, 27 November 2010 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compguy is currently offline  compguy
Chancellor
The closer you put the subwoofer to a wall, the stronger the bass output becomes. When it is moved into a corner, bass output is maximized. However, sometimes you will get a "booming" sound instead of a nice even tone if it is too close. Adjust the subwoofer until you are satisfied with the sound.
Re: position is everything [message #64938 is a reply to message #25087] Sat, 27 November 2010 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I can definitely hear the bass coming from a direction generally. I put my sub in the centre when I had one. My speakers could output more bass than the room size allowed (35hz/the room was less than ~30(1)ft required to make an undistorted waveform, so that sub didn't last too long in the setup because i'm not much of a fan of modulating the bass frequencies, and correct me if i'm wrong, but that is what i've been taught happens when you hear a waveform the room can't accompany or use headphones.

The best way to do it is to use more than one and wire them in stereo. A Boston record with a Hammond B-3 is really going to reveal the limitations of "omni-directional" bass. The situation is being overstated IMO. Bass has direction and you can bet it's important...the mids and treble are just more important and get the priority. I think it is a serious myth that it "doesn't matter" when dealing with bass. hard panned stereo death metal blast beats make this very apparent.

Previous Topic: Hard of hearing
Next Topic: Adding Echo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:22:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout