Home » Audio » Speaker » Quiet setup
Quiet setup [message #65061] Wed, 01 December 2010 10:37 Go to next message
greysanatfan
Esquire
What is a good setup for someone who lives in an apartment or attached townhome and can't make too much noise, but still wants a quality speaker and audio system? Any tips on how to reduce the noise, but still have fun?
Re: Quiet setup [message #65080 is a reply to message #65061] Wed, 01 December 2010 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Keep in mind that bass frequencies are transmitted through walls and floors far more easily than midrange frequencies. Treble frequencies are attenutated almost entirely by the typical condo/apt insulated divider wall. So you'll definitely not want a subwoofer.

Also, if your room is relatively small a standmount speaker will be more than adequate. I built my son a standmount two way using the Parts Express 0.75 cu ft curved side enclosures, which works well in his condo and doesn't disturb the neighbors at moderate levels.

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Speakers/132721_wacsQ#295183549_FhzPq

Another idea would be to tell each neigbor you have a stereo and ask them to let you know if it ever disturbs them. The mere fact that you took the initiative to do this will increase their tolerance for occasional loud music. But don't push it, and above all, don't ever play loud music late at night or early in the morning. I make this last suggestion as the result of having lived in the apt below a neighbor who had a cheap fart-box subwoofer turned waaaaay too loud which he liked to listen to a seven on Sunday mornings.
Re: Quiet setup [message #65109 is a reply to message #65061] Thu, 02 December 2010 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
High wattage. It seems much more dynamic and no where near as punchy or present, which is good for you. A 15watt system at 60db is going to be a lot different (noisier) than a 150watt one at the same SPL.

Re: Quiet setup [message #65276 is a reply to message #65061] Tue, 14 December 2010 08:50 Go to previous message
Jorel is currently offline  Jorel
Baron
There is a topic here about suppressing sound but I can't figure out where it is already. There are some good advice there on how to suppress sound using curtains and walling.

For me, I think you can play your speaker loudly at day when your neighbors are out.
Previous Topic: The Best Speaker Brands in the Market
Next Topic: Best computer speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:31:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout