Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Movie watching comfort
Movie watching comfort [message #65006] Tue, 30 November 2010 11:24 Go to next message
Scots Rich is currently offline  Scots Rich
Chancellor
I'm designing a small indie cinema. Would you, as a user, prefer to pay a little more for luxury seats (headrests, drink holders, adjustable angle etc) or less for a normal cinema seat ?

Rich
Re: Movie watching comfort [message #65020 is a reply to message #65006] Tue, 30 November 2010 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It depends.

Would I pay an extra dollar for a really comfy seat over a really uncomfortable one? Yes and almost everyone would.

Would I pay an extra dollar for something slightly better? No, not really.

It's just my opinion, but just make sure people are comfortable and not uncomfortable and squeeze as much capacity as you can get in there.

You aren't going to know until the place opens how many people will be in there consistently, but you can likely get something larger that wont affect your ability to maximize capacity for a cheaper price. Asses equals money due to the way everything is made two crappy things are generally more expensive than one good one because of the manufacturing costs, unless you are dealing with junk.

In my experience theaters rarely sell out. I don't think an extra 50 bucks pet show to squeeze another 20 seats in at the expensive of repeat business is wise.

Re: Movie watching comfort [message #65039 is a reply to message #65006] Tue, 30 November 2010 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hoptoit is currently offline  Hoptoit
Baron
If I had the money I would certainly pay extra for comfortable chairs, especially if you like to watch a lot of movies. Will you also be playing games in there too on the TV? I would make it as comfy as I could.
Re: Movie watching comfort [message #65745 is a reply to message #65006] Tue, 18 January 2011 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Place an extra charge on the chairs with added features. This way, people have the option on whether or not to get the better seats than the normal ones.
Re: Movie watching comfort [message #66411 is a reply to message #65006] Tue, 01 March 2011 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
I have to honestly say that I sometimes avoid going to the movies altogether, just because I know that the seats are so uncomfortable. If I knew that the seats were better, I would go to the movies more, period.
Re: Movie watching comfort [message #66422 is a reply to message #65006] Tue, 01 March 2011 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenny76 is currently offline  Jenny76
Chancellor
I have been trying to cut back on my spending so my answer would have to be no at this point. I love being comfortable, but I would like that comfort without an increase in prices.
Re: Movie watching comfort [message #66827 is a reply to message #65745] Fri, 01 April 2011 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
Lancelot wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 10:25
Place an extra charge on the chairs with added features. This way, people have the option on whether or not to get the better seats than the normal ones.

I agree with Lancelot. You could have a special section for the comfy chairs and this would be a great way to spend a little money to see if it is worth it or not. If the seats are always filled, then you can increase the number of comfy chairs.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Movie watching comfort [message #69219 is a reply to message #66827] Sat, 27 August 2011 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jenna is currently offline  Jenna
Esquire
I also avoid theaters if the seats are uncomfortable, especially if I am siting down for a movie that is over two hours long. I agree that you could charge a bit more for special seating and try to recoup the added costs.
Re: Movie watching comfort [message #69485 is a reply to message #69219] Wed, 14 September 2011 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christy is currently offline  Christy
Chancellor
I think everyone agrees here, go for the comfy seats! Why make your own theatre room, and then skimp on seats? It just would not make sense! If you can not afford a bunch of the comfy seats, buy one at a time. At least you will have a nice seat to start with!
Re: Movie watching comfort [message #70422 is a reply to message #65745] Wed, 07 December 2011 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
Lancelot wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 10:25

That's an interesting idea, but I think that could be complicated. It might be difficult to decide how many of each seat to make. I can also see people getting irritated if the section they want is sold out.

I think most people would prefer a comfortable chair for a little more money. How far you should go probably depends on the economic conditions of your town.
Previous Topic: What You Can DIY and What Not?
Next Topic: A micro-programmable tube tracer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:53:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout