Home » Audio » General » Are iPods obsolete?
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #65019 is a reply to message #65004] Tue, 30 November 2010 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Joelle wrote on Tue, 30 November 2010 11:04
iPods will never be obsolete so long as there's a market for each new model that Apple produces - and Apple are consummate marketeers, they'll milk the markets for some years to come.

I don't think anyone would argue that at all.

Technologically, they are obsolete.

Are they a good option for some people? Absolutely.

Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #65038 is a reply to message #64885] Tue, 30 November 2010 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
I think it depends on an individual's preferences. Sure there are people who want the latest and greatest of everything, but there are plenty of others who are perfectly content with the "older" version of something. If it still works and suits your needs, why upgrade if you don't have to?
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #65048 is a reply to message #65038] Wed, 01 December 2010 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That is exactly why I use a 20 year old stereo Smile It'll probably never be obsolete. My hearing isn't gonna get getter than about 40-20000 Hz anyway and I won't use all 240 watts. I see absolutely no reason to use anything else. Building stuff or putting together other stuff for fun is cool. I like doing that. There's the magic of a child's perception in my speakers, something that is irreplaceable. They've become like family.

Some things, like vintage analog solid state equalizers, are timeless. I see the Ipod become laughable like the Sony discman. It's had a good run, but it's about time for a new format to make money with. They're trying Vinyl again, which seems like a step in the wrong direction. Thats the two extremes these days. Great quality but with a very outdated and problematic peformance with vinyl.

Digtial, the format to end them all is a mess. They can do far better than Redbook Audio. 8-track or 4-track albums would cut down on piracy.

Instead we get the lowest quality rips of the CD's that were problematic to begin with. Now someone is going to make available the complete original redbook. It's kind of like going back to eight track.

I see good things on the horizon. The physical store for good cheap audio is nonexistent other than places like Guitar Center. But prices have dropped significantly. (a pair of speaker that used to cost 1500, now about 150 for roughly the quality)

I see a great deal of people becoming much more aware of quality as it naturally gets better. Components are cheap and it's competitive and lucrative. So, I guess we all win.

Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #65051 is a reply to message #65048] Wed, 01 December 2010 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Adveser wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 01:41
That is exactly why I use a 20 year old stereo Smile It'll probably never be obsolete. My hearing isn't gonna get getter than about 40-20000 Hz anyway and I won't use all 240 watts. I see absolutely no reason to use anything else. Building stuff or putting together other stuff for fun is cool. I like doing that. There's the magic of a child's perception in my speakers, something that is irreplaceable. They've become like family.

Some things, like vintage analog solid state equalizers, are timeless. I see the Ipod become laughable like the Sony discman. It's had a good run, but it's about time for a new format to make money with. They're trying Vinyl again, which seems like a step in the wrong direction. Thats the two extremes these days. Great quality but with a very outdated and problematic peformance with vinyl.

Digtial, the format to end them all is a mess. They can do far better than Redbook Audio. 8-track or 4-track albums would cut down on piracy.

Instead we get the lowest quality rips of the CD's that were problematic to begin with. Now someone is going to make available the complete original redbook. It's kind of like going back to eight track.

I see good things on the horizon. The physical store for good cheap audio is nonexistent other than places like Guitar Center. But prices have dropped significantly. (a pair of speaker that used to cost 1500, now about 150 for roughly the quality)

I see a great deal of people becoming much more aware of quality as it naturally gets better. Components are cheap and it's competitive and lucrative. So, I guess we all win.

I have two 20+ year old systems that get regular use. Late 70's Kenwood integrated amp + a seperate tuner and a early 80's Carver receiver that was my first piece of gear. Along with a set of 1982 Klipsch Heresy's and 1984 Polk Audio monitor 5B's.

I like to build things so I fiddle with building tubes gear.

I like vinyl. But you have to like to tweak and throw money into relatively expensive gear for it to sound very good. Can be done for sure. I unfortunately have a very mediocre low end table, but I enjoy it from time to time anyway.

I've found that my 20+ year old gear is built 100X better than any of the newer affordable stuff. I have a 2 year old CD player that doesn't work anymore that cost near $400. Course it died right out of warranty Evil or Very Mad

I only use Guitar Center for checking out guitars and amps. I never purchase from them because they are over inflated on their prices here. I can get better service, and assured quality, from one of the local mom n' pop stores for my guitar gear at the same price.
Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #65108 is a reply to message #64885] Thu, 02 December 2010 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
FYI, you can negotiate with any guitar store, no matter how corporate. They will take what they can get.

I think the new stuff is cheap, but on the other hand it is giving people a taste and that;s is eough to get their foot through the door.

Re: Are iPods obsolete? [message #65118 is a reply to message #65108] Thu, 02 December 2010 13:28 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Adveser wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 12:10
FYI, you can negotiate with any guitar store, no matter how corporate. They will take what they can get.

I think the new stuff is cheap, but on the other hand it is giving people a taste and that;s is eough to get their foot through the door.

I tried to negotiate a new Paul Reed Smith last year and they wouldn't budge on it. Even showed the manager the websites I could get it at cheaper right there in the store. He flat out told me I should just order it there then cause they weren't budging. So that's what I did!!!!

I tried to trade a pristine Peavey 5150 combo there as well. They wanted to give me 1/4 of what they were asking for another used one that looked like it had been rolled off the back of a truck going down the road. Even the sales guy I was working with told me he thought his manager was an idiot for not giving me what I was asking for it.

Some of the new stuff is cheap, but many of the cheaper stuff is much better than the expensive gear was 10-15 years ago. Although I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom that I bought new back in 1992 that is better playing, and sounding, than many a Gibson version I've tried. Not all vintage gear is good. Depends what you like.
Previous Topic: Microphone Feedback
Next Topic: Big News!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 15:56:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout