Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Audio Electronic AE-25 Kit
Audio Electronic AE-25 Kit [message #8410] Fri, 20 August 2004 17:02 Go to next message
Ranier is currently offline  Ranier
Chancellor

Any of you have experience with this kit? It looks to be an excellent amp.

Re: Audio Electronic AE-25 Kit [message #8411 is a reply to message #8410] Sun, 22 August 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Ranier,

I have not built or heard the AES Superamp, but as I'm sure you know AES is the kit/parts division of Cary Audio, run by Dennis Had, who has been highly respected in the audio field, particularly for his SET designs, for years. Cary and AES have excellent reputations for customer service -- I don't think I've ever seen a bad word written about them. I remember seeing some good reviews of the Superamp when it first appeared, and some of them appear at http://www.superamp.com .

I did build another AES product, the PH-1 phonostage, which has performed flawlessly and excellently for years with my Rega Planar 3. The assembly manual was thorough, with step-by-step verbal and visual instructions. The PH-1 uses point-to-point wiring, and I believe the Superamp does the same. That means it is not as easy to build as a PCB-based design, but if you go slow and enjoy the building process, rather than rushing to completion, you should do just fine.

Re: Audio Electronic AE-25 Kit [message #8412 is a reply to message #8411] Sun, 22 August 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi E; I noticed you have the PH1. I built the AE3 pre-amp and have done some mods. Hexfreds, Auricaps and I installed the switch from the high end cary pre-amp. I am interested in your assesment of the sound of the phono stage. I use a Seduction now but I found the AE3 to be a better sounding unit than the modded foreplay. I am wondering if that is true of the phono stage. Any opinions are appreciated, thanks J.R. What cartridge do you use If I may ask and does it use standard 47k loading?

Re: Audio Electronic AE-25 Kit [message #8413 is a reply to message #8412] Sun, 22 August 2004 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Hi, MB! I'm using a Sumiko Blue Point cartridge.

Parenthetically, it looks like the PH-1 has changed slightly over the years. The version I built has a selector knob at the front that allows the user to select 1K, 22K, 47K or 68K loading. The current version appears to omit the selector switch and provides 47K loading only. Wiring up that switch was the hardest part of the kit (at least for these fat fingers), and I suspect that was the reason it was eliminated. That said, I'm very lazy and have generally left the loading at 47K and have never done careful listening tests for differences among the different positions.

Unfortunately, I have not heard Doc's Seduction, so I can't compare the two units. All I can tell you is that I've been very happy with my PH-1. Most of my albums are 25 to 35 years old, bought when I was listening to rock of the Jimi-Janis-Cream-FZ variety in high school and college. Luckily, I always treated them with care, and they sound a hell of a lot better now than they did back then!

Re: Audio Electronic AE-25 Kit [message #8414 is a reply to message #8413] Sun, 22 August 2004 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for the reply! I have heard that the earlier models were better, the one you have with the variable cart. load. Funny you should mention, When I replaced that switch in my pre-amp, with those tiny gold tags, I used up my ration of expletives for the year. Sounds like an excellent combo; the Blue Point and PH1. J.R.

Re: Audio Electronic AE-25 Kit [message #8482 is a reply to message #8410] Wed, 29 September 2004 12:55 Go to previous message
Jeff Aiken is currently offline  Jeff Aiken
Baron
Just noticed your post. I actually built this amp about 2yrs ago. Very nice sounding with EH EL34's. Smooth and sweet. Sweetest in triode mode, but a bit more authoritative in ultra-linear. I had it mated with a Bottlehead Foreplay and Vandersteen 1C's and was really happy with the combo. All components are high quality. Iron is very heavy. Overall a really nice amp, especially for the price.

Previous Topic: Bugle boy's are here!
Next Topic: Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Next Week in Denver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:28:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout