Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Color of TV Stand
Color of TV Stand [message #64752] Thu, 18 November 2010 11:01 Go to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Most of my electronic devices have a black color. My TV stand has a tan color. I'm thinking of painting it with black so it would look better. Or is it better to buy a new TV stand with a color of black?
Re: Color of TV Stand [message #64754 is a reply to message #64752] Thu, 18 November 2010 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would say yes. If the furniture is coated in that plastic stuff, it is going to be a bastard to paint.

If it is real wood it is still going to have to be sanded, primed and painted about 3 times and good quality paint (I like car paint) is expensive.

Then again if you buy new you are going to burn through 3 hours of assembly time.

I say get someone that can turn it black for a hundred bucks or so or buy a new one. Unless you want to save the money and paint it yourself. Again the material might prevent painting easily.

Re: Color of TV Stand [message #64830 is a reply to message #64754] Tue, 23 November 2010 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Good points you have there. I think I'd rather buy a new one as the TV stand I have is somewhat old, about 5 years already. The wood might crumble if I remove the original paint. I don't mind assembling it because I think it there is much work if I repaint my old TV stand.
Re: Color of TV Stand [message #64919 is a reply to message #64752] Fri, 26 November 2010 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockstar is currently offline  Rockstar
Master
Our TV Stand is black but I am thinking of getting a smaller one. I just bought a new 50 inch TV today (Black Friday sale) and it will mount on the wall. I think I want just a small TV stand now below it for the DVD player.

How did yours turn out?

Let's chat!
Re: Color of TV Stand [message #65466 is a reply to message #64752] Thu, 30 December 2010 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
It's really hard to tell without seeing a picture. Tan traditionally CAN go with black, although black entertainment stands are usually the way to go in terms of looking chic. Use your best judgment if it's really necessary to paint or purchase a new one.
Re: Color of TV Stand [message #67788 is a reply to message #64752] Sun, 22 May 2011 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forest is currently offline  Forest
Chancellor
I had that same situation when my dark brown TV stand started getting scuffed/scratched up and the wood was showing through. Almost everything in my entertainment area was black and personally I like color consistency. I was in college at that time and couldn't afford a good quality $300.00 TV stand or entertainment center. I had in the past painted an old dresser and put new hardware on it to make it more modern. It took a lot of work but did completely overhaul the look into this decade lol. The thing I learned was to check the edges of your piece of furniture and tops of drawers because like Adveser said the plastic is a nightmare! It kept peeling and pulling off just from use of shutting the drawers. Fortunately my TV stand didn't have any of that. I did end up painting it black and still use it today. I did go my local home improvement store and get paint just for both the dresser and TV stand projects. If I recall correctly they said that non latex paint is the best for painting over paint.I hope this helps with your decision.
Re: Color of TV Stand [message #73146 is a reply to message #64752] Wed, 27 June 2012 14:16 Go to previous message
mixinlady
Baron
I don't see what the problem with tan is. That's still a complementary shade. A do‐it‐yourself paint job might not turn out so nice.
Previous Topic: Soldering & Ventilation
Next Topic: Redoing living room
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:57:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout