Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Kittens eating wires (Protecting speaker wires)
Kittens eating wires [message #64705] Mon, 15 November 2010 08:00 Go to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
My kittens keep nibbling through my speaker wires. They don't go for the bigger power cords, but they seem to love those thin, dangling wires to my speakers. Even when I strap them, they play with the strapped bundles. Any thoughts?
Re: Kittens eating wires [message #64707 is a reply to message #64705] Mon, 15 November 2010 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Give them an alternative wire to play with and make sure that the wires for your speakers are not reachable by the kittens. I wonder why your kittens play with your speaker wires.
Re: Kittens eating wires [message #64710 is a reply to message #64705] Mon, 15 November 2010 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My first thought is I'm glad the kitten hasn't gotten through the power cords. My second thought is you'll probably need to get sleeves or bigger speaker wires with thicker insulation. Laughing

Re: Kittens eating wires [message #64716 is a reply to message #64705] Mon, 15 November 2010 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have a couple kittens. Thicker wire, maybe 16 gauge, is enough to keep them from getting to it. They just can't chew through it at that thickness. My cats love the very tiny wiring on my headphones Sad They haven't damaged them yet, but it's a pain in the ass. Forcing a cat to walk on Aluminum foil to get to an area will dissuade them from going there. That is probably too much of an eyesore though.

Re: Kittens eating wires [message #64783 is a reply to message #64716] Sun, 21 November 2010 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scots Rich is currently offline  Scots Rich
Chancellor
Laughing Ha ha ha ! - I love the idea of forcing a cat to walk on aluminium foil ! But, to the original question I would say provide your kittens with some other stimulation (one of those kitten gyms for example) and rub it liberally with cat nip to attract them.

Rich
Re: Kittens eating wires [message #65058 is a reply to message #64783] Wed, 01 December 2010 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Wraps tend to work. Be careful to also hide or wrap power cords too just in case the kittens change tactics.

I once put hot sauce on cords to dissuade a big orange orange tabby I owned. Trouble was, he liked it.

Steve
Re: Kittens eating wires [message #65077 is a reply to message #64705] Wed, 01 December 2010 17:08 Go to previous message
Corded is currently offline  Corded
Chancellor
I'm not sure if this works on kittens as well as puppies, but I trained my pup not to chew on wires by rubbing a product called "Bitter Apple" on the wires. It's sold in pet stores.
Previous Topic: Old Valve Radios as Speakers?
Next Topic: Hiding Wires
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:54:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout