Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Hiding Wires
Hiding Wires [message #64698] Sun, 14 November 2010 21:32 Go to next message
Jorel is currently offline  Jorel
Baron
I have a small setup for my home theater and I place the speakers on the ceiling. How do I hide the wires? I don't like having a lot of wires on the walls and ceilings. I don't have money for wireless speaker setup right but I'm saving money for it.
Re: Hiding Wires [message #64699 is a reply to message #64698] Sun, 14 November 2010 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could run the wires behind the walls and in the attic, terminating on each end with a wall plate.

Re: Hiding Wires [message #64748 is a reply to message #64698] Thu, 18 November 2010 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billie is currently offline  Billie
Chancellor
Are your walls papered? If they are you could carefully cut the paper and hide the wires behind, then re-glue. I have done this and it was very effective.

Or, you could purchase some conduit and hide your wires that way.

I understand your frustration, wires are unsightly but necessary.
Re: Hiding Wires [message #64751 is a reply to message #64698] Thu, 18 November 2010 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Maybe you can give us an idea about the type of wall you have. We guess about your wall so we can only give incomplete advice. What I did with the wires in my home is I painted them with the same color as the wall, a concrete wall.
Re: Hiding Wires [message #64753 is a reply to message #64698] Thu, 18 November 2010 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
For the record, and this might be dated info, but Wireless is not up to the quality of a wire.

A lot of bands went wireless then went back soon after because of the quality issue.

Re: Hiding Wires [message #64829 is a reply to message #64753] Tue, 23 November 2010 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A cable duct can be run up the wall and painted to match the wall color. It isn't hidden, but it's far less obtrusive than bare wires.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3909579
Re: Hiding Wires [message #64903 is a reply to message #64698] Thu, 25 November 2010 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compguy is currently offline  compguy
Chancellor
If you have crown moulding, you can hide the wires by running them behind the moulding at the top of the wall. Run the wires from the system up the wall preferably in a corner all the way up to the ceiling behind the moulding. Of course, you will need to remove the moulding first on the wall you want you system located on. I have done this with great success.
Re: Hiding Wires [message #64926 is a reply to message #64698] Sat, 27 November 2010 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockstar is currently offline  Rockstar
Master
Duct tape that matches the paint, now that is something I have never heard of but I do find interesting. We had speakers put in our ceiling in the dining room and the wires are hidden. The speakers were actually put right into the ceiling.

Let's chat!
Re: Hiding Wires [message #65130 is a reply to message #64926] Fri, 03 December 2010 05:25 Go to previous message
Jorel is currently offline  Jorel
Baron
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I tried the duct tape but the tapes won't hold long enough and I need to replace again after they become loose.

I have a concrete wall and a wooden ceiling. I was thinking of placing the wire on the ceiling but I don't know how to put it there. I might hire a carpenter and do that job for me.
Previous Topic: Kittens eating wires
Next Topic: Speakers in Headrests
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:02:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout