Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Keyboard for Beginners?
Keyboard for Beginners? [message #64687] Sun, 14 November 2010 16:06 Go to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
I would like to learn to play the piano and want to start on an electronic keyboard because of the options they offer. Problem is, as a beginner it looks like too many choices for making an expensive decision. Does anyone have any keyboard recommendations for a beginner? Thanks for your help with this.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Keyboard for Beginners? [message #64694 is a reply to message #64687] Sun, 14 November 2010 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would go out and buy a MIDI interface for your computer and the cheapest possible Keyboard to go with it and use computer software. I don't have anything specific, really.

Re: Keyboard for Beginners? [message #64700 is a reply to message #64694] Sun, 14 November 2010 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good suggestion. Also, for under a hundred bucks, you can buy a pretty good starter keyboard at a lot of places. Not so long ago, it cost over a thousand bucks for an entry level keyboard that was monophonic. A hundred dollar keyboard these days is polyphonic, uses sampled voices and even does a pretty good job of teaching a beginner with the built-in display. Try looking at places like zZounds and Musicians Friend.

Re: Keyboard for Beginners? [message #64714 is a reply to message #64694] Mon, 15 November 2010 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
Adveser wrote on Sun, 14 November 2010 20:14
I would go out and buy a MIDI interface for your computer and the cheapest possible Keyboard to go with it and use computer software. I don't have anything specific, really.

Thanks for the suggestion... something I hadn't even thought about and will do more research. Also thanks to you Wayne for suggesting the websites. I was surprised to see how much prices have fallen. When I first started looking about 3 years ago, good boards were at least $300. I am glad to see less expensive options, and it makes more sense to start out at $100 rather than $300.

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: Keyboard for Beginners? [message #64982 is a reply to message #64714] Mon, 29 November 2010 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Make sure it has 88 keys as well. Sure, you won't use some of them very often but it's good to have the capability a piano does. You can also buy a damper pedal that plugs in.
Re: Keyboard for Beginners? [message #65064 is a reply to message #64687] Wed, 01 December 2010 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greysanatfan
Esquire
I think you'd be okay with any basic keyboard; it's the supplementary learning material that teaches you how to play that really matters. Try a multifaceted approach for the best chance of success: read books, watch videos, and even consider hiring out a good tutor.
Re: Keyboard for Beginners? [message #65116 is a reply to message #64982] Thu, 02 December 2010 12:47 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree. A 6 octave range (72 keys at the very least) is critical for keyboards. Sometimes they need to be a Bass, sometimes they need to be so thin and treble heavy you can barely call it a note.

Previous Topic: Audio Editing System
Next Topic: Beginner Guitarist
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:01:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout