Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Old Valve Radios as Speakers? (DIY speaker project)
Old Valve Radios as Speakers? [message #64652] Fri, 12 November 2010 09:44 Go to next message
Joelle is currently offline  Joelle
Chancellor
I've got a collection of old valve radios about 20 years ago I had some of them wired up as speakers to my vinyl spinning turntable + cassette player stereo system. Is there any way I can use them as speakers for my iPod? I know that their sound is not as crisp as today's MP3 player speakers but they do give a beautiful, rich sound and they are very stylish to look at.

Joelle
Re: Old Valve Radios as Speakers? [message #64656 is a reply to message #64652] Fri, 12 November 2010 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's the kind of stuff that will make you popular around here! Smile

As for the iPod output, it's pretty much the same kind of analog signal, and you should have no trouble connecting it. Here are the pinouts:
Re: Old Valve Radios as Speakers? [message #64665 is a reply to message #64656] Sat, 13 November 2010 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joelle is currently offline  Joelle
Chancellor
Hey! Thank you for that iPod pinouts information. It all looks double dutch to me but my trusty companion reckons he understands it - even though he doesn't speak English . . . I guess the technicalities are pretty universal language-wise.

Here's another mouth-watering photo from the old radio market that I mentioned in the collectors thread :

index.php?t=getfile&id=272&private=0
  • Attachment: stall2.jpg
    (Size: 47.51KB, Downloaded 1788 times)

Joelle
Re: Old Valve Radios as Speakers? [message #64904 is a reply to message #64652] Thu, 25 November 2010 23:30 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Don't tubes have to be matched preventing this from becoming a reliable option?

Previous Topic: Car Audio Kits
Next Topic: Kittens eating wires
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:17:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout