Home » Audio » Speaker » Woofers warped
Woofers warped [message #64585] Thu, 04 November 2010 07:06 Go to next message
Jacks is currently offline  Jacks
Chancellor
My old Panasonic sound system, complete with turntable, has come out of storage again.

I've a few issues to address, and the first one is that the woofers on my speakers have misshapen during the time they were in storage, and I can hear the distortion that results.

What I don't know is how to address the problem... but I'd sure like some input, pun intended.
Re: Woofers warped [message #64587 is a reply to message #64585] Thu, 04 November 2010 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If the basket is warped, you'll probably need to replace the speaker. But if just the (paper) cone is warped, you may be able to have it repaired. Several places will recone a speaker, provided repair parts are available for that driver.

Re: Woofers warped [message #64610 is a reply to message #64587] Sun, 07 November 2010 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jacks is currently offline  Jacks
Chancellor
Well boo, I'd hoped it was something I could effect without having to pay someone to do it for me.

The speakers were stored face DOWN for almost a year, if I understand correctly.

I'll have to ask my Dad (which is where I got the system from in the first place) where he used to have it serviced.
Re: Woofers warped [message #64644 is a reply to message #64585] Thu, 11 November 2010 10:47 Go to previous message
Joelle is currently offline  Joelle
Chancellor
I do believe that it's possible to re-cone the speakers yourself a friend found a UK based reconing kit supplier on the internet for his vintage 16ohm speakers. He paid in the region of £40 for the pair plus postage.

Joelle
Previous Topic: Traynor YSC-8 P.A. speakers for 2 CH. analog??
Next Topic: Blown Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:25:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout