Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » tube friendly speakers
tube friendly speakers [message #8378] Sun, 01 August 2004 11:46 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Someone please explain the term---tube friendly speaker---I'm wanting to use speakers with lower db ratings for better overall range and imaging-----but do I need more power to run a Totem Arro (rated db 88 into 4 Ohms)---if I had 35 wpc instead of 20 wpc would I be able to drive that lower loaded speaker----I don't understand the relationship between needed power requirements of a certain speaker and how it effects the loading of the speaker----
I never see any 16 or 32 Ohm rated speakers yet many of the vintage amps were wired to use them??? Can I build a crossover to increase the Ohm rating of any speaker?? Jim

Re: tube friendly speakers [message #8380 is a reply to message #8378] Sun, 01 August 2004 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The output impedance of some tube amps is relatively high, so it forms a voltage divider with the load. If the source output impedance is high, the load impedance curve will have an effect on the response curve. So that's why some tube amps work best with speakers having a relatively flat impedance curve.

Other amps are not affected nearly as much, and many modern woofers are designed with an assumption that output impedance is low and that the amplifier can electrically damp the driver.

Re: tube friendly speakers [message #8381 is a reply to message #8380] Mon, 02 August 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Gosh Wayne, I bet that kind of talk impresses all the girls!!!! Remember I have a Oklhoma public education!!! Please sir, again and I'm slow---How can I find out if a speaker will work that has a load of 4 Ohms?? Do I need to see the responds curves? It says that the Arro is rated at 88db and a load of 4 Ohms---not a good choice? Sendors are 88db's and 8 Ohms---nominal to 6Ohms--better---I still don't understand how to know if a speaker will do well on tubes---and the other thing sir, more power ---what if I throw more watts are the speaker???---- JD

Re: tube friendly speakers [message #8383 is a reply to message #8381] Mon, 02 August 2004 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Can you audition the speaker?

If not, you'll need very detailed specs including an impedance curve.

Re: tube friendly speakers [message #8385 is a reply to message #8381] Tue, 03 August 2004 11:28 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Can't tell if you are spelling Spendor when you spell sendors. I have lot of experience with Spendors and still think they are one of the most musical speakers ever. Try Waynes site, the Pi speakers work perfectly with tube amps and sound great and priced very reasonable. But if you are committed to the Sendors I can attest that they all work well with tube amps, very flat impedance curve consequently easy load for tubes. 20 watts should suffice unless you are a headbanger then you should not even considor the Spendors anyway. Waynes Pi 2's do it all with tubes try them. Spendors sound best on Classical music not so fine on rock or pop. The Totem Arro's don't have great rep with tubes according to common knowledge. Hope this helps,J.R.

Previous Topic: ECL82 / 6BM8
Next Topic: Looking to step in
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:21:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout