Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Flutter Echo
Flutter Echo [message #64458] Sat, 23 October 2010 09:03 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
How do you deal with nasty flutter echoes? They set my teeth on edge! In non-audio rooms, I usually put up a picture or two and that gets rid of it.
Re: Flutter Echo [message #64460 is a reply to message #64458] Sat, 23 October 2010 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I find HF "slap" (or multiple slaps, i.e. flutter echo) to be a problem in rooms with a lot of hard surfaces and little furniture or carpeting. Fortunately, most people don't set up their sound systems or home theaters in rooms like that, although I can recall one room with hardwood floors that did it very badly.

Obvious stuff helps a lot. Bookshelves placed on the opposite wall from the mains provide a natural diffusion that breaks up the rear reflection. Using directional speakers and toeing them in helps reduce side reflections. Carpeting helps reduce reflections from the floor, at least at frequencies above the modal range. That only leaves ceiling slap and my best advice there is the same as what you do to reduce side reflections - use directional speakers - with limited HF output at large vertical angles.

Re: Flutter Echo [message #64461 is a reply to message #64460] Sat, 23 October 2010 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yeah speaker placement helps, but I didn't think about that because the only time I find bad flutter echoes, it's in some random place that doesn't have speakers, like a hallway.
Re: Flutter Echo [message #64670 is a reply to message #64461] Sat, 13 November 2010 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
We had that problem too, in a room with very large windows and glass French doors. We finally put curtains on all of the windows, including the doors. It helped alot.
Re: Flutter Echo [message #64761 is a reply to message #64458] Fri, 19 November 2010 02:01 Go to previous message
Scots Rich is currently offline  Scots Rich
Chancellor
Obviously speaker placement and room padding (carpets, soft chairs) help - also create a non-parallel room. If you can't or don't want to build non-parallel walls just add bookshelves and film them!

Rich
Previous Topic: Diffuser and absorption panels
Next Topic: Sound proofing a room
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 15:24:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers