Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Diffuser and absorption panels
Diffuser and absorption panels [message #64430] Fri, 22 October 2010 02:56 Go to next message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
I don't have the luxury of a dedicated music room as I am currently living in a converted car garage. I do hope to be moving soon though and I will probably have a small room I can use for such a purpose. Someone recommended I set it up with diffuser and absorption panels for the best sound results. Is this an immediate need?
Room treatments [message #64439 is a reply to message #64430] Fri, 22 October 2010 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Directional speakers will help a lot, as will multiple subs to help smooth room modes. Then again, garages are often pretty lively and they usually aren't built with any attention paid to soundproofing. Stuff tends to vibrate.

Myself, I might be tempted to hang a few thick carpets or put up some egg crates to help deaden the room. Find any thing that vibrates and tack it down in some way.

You said you aren't planning to stay, so I'm not sure it makes sense to invest in any wedges or panel traps at this point. You would generally make them to fit along the walls, and where you're going might have different size rooms. Still, here is some useful information, in case you decide to go that route:
Re: Diffuser and absorption panels [message #64446 is a reply to message #64430] Fri, 22 October 2010 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Obviously Fiberglass works wonders if covered with any sort of linen.

Re: Diffuser and absorption panels [message #64471 is a reply to message #64430] Sun, 24 October 2010 07:29 Go to previous message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
Thanks for the links. Yep I am hoping to finally move out of my 'temporary' abode and the new music room will be in a regular house or apartment. I was just wondering if I needed to buy special extra equipment rightaway, or not. It's good to know there are things I can do if the move is delayed, I need music!
Previous Topic: Room acoustics newbie
Next Topic: Flutter Echo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:14:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout