Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Wiring for small speakers
Wiring for small speakers [message #64364] Mon, 18 October 2010 08:08 Go to next message
3dfreak is currently offline  3dfreak
Chancellor
I am about to install two speakers at the other end of the family room. I would use around 6 meters of wire from the speaker to the subwoofer. Would the 18-gauge wire be sufficient for this purpose? Or should I use a larger one?
Re: Wiring for small speakers [message #64372 is a reply to message #64364] Mon, 18 October 2010 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Myself, I'd probably go with 16 gauge but I think probably 18 gauge would be OK. It really depends on how much current (power) you're going to be sending through those wires. More info in the thread below:
Re: Wiring for small speakers [message #64432 is a reply to message #64372] Fri, 22 October 2010 07:42 Go to previous message
3dfreak is currently offline  3dfreak
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. I went through the thread you gave me. The information there was highly technical but useful. My conclusion is, for my specific need, 18-gauge or 16-gauge won'tĀ matter much. It's for family use and volume isn't very loud.

What I do so far when I want to listen to good music is to use ear phones. I wish to change this someday with my own set of sub and speakers in an acoustically insulated room Smile
Previous Topic: Speaker Grill Cloth
Next Topic: painting MDF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:37:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout