Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Speaker Grill Cloth
Speaker Grill Cloth [message #64361] Mon, 18 October 2010 06:46 Go to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
I know that speaker grill cloths should ideally be 100% acoustically transparent. But I also find such materials expensive for experimentation purposes. I would wish to use worn out shirts and flour bags--dyed in black--as speaker grill cloth. Would these materials do?
Re: Speaker Grill Cloth [message #64371 is a reply to message #64361] Mon, 18 October 2010 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There is nothing that is truly acoustically transparent. If you want the best fidelity, don't use a grille. If one is needed, put it as close to the speaker as possible.

Several materials are made specifically for the purpose, and they aren't that expensive so I would suggest that you use one of them where possible. Not only will it be better in terms of less attenuation, but also in terms of less reflection. Reflections cause response aberrations, which is why I suggest putting the grille as close to the speaker as possible. That will reduce the amount of response irregularities from self-interference caused by the grille.

Re: Speaker Grill Cloth [message #64391 is a reply to message #64361] Wed, 20 October 2010 03:37 Go to previous message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
Thanks for the reply Wayne. Right Smile There's no need for grille in fact for experimentation purposes. Anyhow, thanks for the tip on putting the grille as close to the speaker as possible.
Previous Topic: Two questions on how to construct a sound box
Next Topic: Wiring for small speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:08:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout