Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Tube Pre-Amp Recommendation
Tube Pre-Amp Recommendation [message #8337] Sat, 24 July 2004 06:44 Go to next message
HaknHendrix is currently offline  HaknHendrix
Chancellor
I'm interested in building a Tube Pre-Amp for my system. Current system consists of a Toshiba 3950 (Vinnie/Swenson mods), Onkyo SS Amp, and 4 Pi speakers. The Adcom preamp I currently have sounds a little thin, in contrast to my son's Foreplay which tends to color the sound (sounds great though)and limits the base somewhat.

So, thinking about doing another Foreplay - however, if you could advise on an alternative DIY Pre-amp to the Foreplay, that would be great - either a kit, schematics (with pictures) or a book (with illustrations).

There are so many products/designs out there that it is very difficult to decide. Eventually, I may replace the SS amp with a Tube Amp - but I'm OK with it for now.

Hakn

Consider a tube amp with a passive volume control [message #8338 is a reply to message #8337] Sat, 24 July 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI,
I can recommend at least two tube amps, for maybe a couple hundred more than the preamp: The zen amplifier (decware) and the stoetkit amplifier (www.stoetkit.nl).
Both have a passive volume cntrol that is very transparent. My guess is you will find far more improvement in sound than with a tube preamp and a ss amp.
esp given your pi speaker system (very efficient) and your modded cd player.
BTW, i bought a toshiba after seeing the hype, and burned it in and played it. I could not see myself investing time and money in a device that had such low quality parts. SO i returned it. I am curious...how does it sound after the mods? Can you compare it for us to other CD players YOU HAVE HEARD, and maybe post in the digital forum on this website?
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Tube Pre-Amp Recommendation [message #8348 is a reply to message #8337] Tue, 27 July 2004 00:42 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Coloring the sound and thinning the base sound like impedance issues between the Onkyo and the foreplay. I use an AES 6sn7 that you can get as a kit and it beats the foreplay in terms of depth and musicality as well as seeming to work with any amp. I think it's about 400$ J.R.( I have heard the foreplay sound very full and articulate with several moderately priced tube amps, maybe you should borrow a rebuilt Dyna or something and see how you like it)

Previous Topic: el34
Next Topic: SET 45
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:48:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout