Home » Audio » Speaker » In wall or free standing?
In wall or free standing? [message #64153] Sat, 02 October 2010 06:52 Go to next message
Wonderwoll is currently offline  Wonderwoll
Baron
I have been reading about in wall speakers but am not convinced that they are going to ever produce the quality of sound free standing speakers can. Are they only an option for those who are really pushed for floor space?
Re: In wall or free standing? [message #64156 is a reply to message #64153] Sat, 02 October 2010 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you're talking about the little car speakers behind a plate, then you're right, those aren't good for much more than casual listening. I think in general, that's what people expect of wall mount or ceiling mount speakers. But you can place a well-designed high-quality speaker in the wall so it's baffle is flush with the wall. If the speaker is voice properly for this, it can sound very good. It prevents the wall from being a source of early reflections and eliminates baffle step.

Re: In wall or free standing? [message #64188 is a reply to message #64156] Tue, 05 October 2010 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
Thanks that you discuss this. In another part of this forum, there is discussion about dipoles and monopoles. I presume wall-mounted speakers are what they call monopoles.

How do you suggest we install this kind of speaker on the walls? Would we carve a hole on the wall and insert the speaker there? Or would we construct a box and install it on the wall? Lastly, at what height would you recommend we mount them?
Re: In wall or free standing? [message #64193 is a reply to message #64188] Tue, 05 October 2010 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wall mounted speakers are monopoles, yes. You can mount the speaker any way you want to. Like I said in my last post, most purpose designed wall-mount speakers are very much like car speakers, using the wall itself as the baffle and the space behind the wall as the rear chamber. They are usually tuned a lot like infinite baffles.

You can also use a speaker in an existing cabinet but cutting a hole in the wall and making a space for the speakers where the front baffle is flush with the wall. This eliminates baffle step, but does not avoid other boundary reflection problems, like room modes. It also makes orientation potentially difficult, in that you can't angle the speakers inward to provide toe-in, for example, without disrupting the baffle/wall interface.

Re: In wall or free standing? [message #64202 is a reply to message #64153] Wed, 06 October 2010 07:34 Go to previous message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
If you are handy round the house this would it be a fairly straightforward job? I wonder if floor standing speakers appeal more to those who want the aesthetic pleasure as well as the sound? There are some lovely looking products out there.
Previous Topic: Outdoor speakers
Next Topic: Floorstanders - baffled by price range
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:16:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout