Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Why does flawed vintage amp sound so good
Re: But seriously, folks..... [message #8294 is a reply to message #8292] Wed, 23 June 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Just a quick word on the Stoetkit. I'm very pleased with it.

I don't want to compare with others, but I suppose its inevitable. I will say this though, for its price tag, I think it's the best value I've seen by a long shot. I'm pleased because one of "our gang" has made it available, and I feel a certain loyalty to the folks that hang out here and help make this place possible. But it's more than that. This amp is really nice.

The Stoetkit has lots of power for an entry level tube amp, with much more control of the bottom couple of octaves. The rest of the range is nice too, clean midrange and full, sparkling highs without being over-represented. And when there's no signal, the amp is dead quiet. No hum. I've not seen any entry level tube amps that could do all these things as well. I think you'll be pleased with it.

Re: But seriously, folks..... [message #8295 is a reply to message #8292] Thu, 24 June 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John,
If you already did everything to the scott amp & it still sounds harsh or bright then here are osme more ideas:
1. I could be anothe rcomponent in th esystem (usually the speakers)
2. A tube or two may be bad
3. YOur hearing is sensitive to negative feedback or some such (you have GOLDEN ears)

It would be very interesting to see the link on this amp in new zealand if you have it.
Sounds like it would be a lot pricier than any entry level amp.

thanx,
-akhilesh

Re: But seriously, folks..... [message #8306 is a reply to message #8284] Thu, 01 July 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyle is currently offline  kyle
Chancellor
>"The old amps, like yours had a few critical parts right....mainly the transformers and resistors."
Re: But seriously, folks..... [message #8307 is a reply to message #8295] Thu, 01 July 2004 14:28 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi AK, First up the speakers used with the Scott amp were Spendors and no one of my knowledge has ever accused them of being bright. The amp I described that you mention, the 211 tube SE amp from the guy in New Zealand is a homebuilt. You would have to work off the photos of his amp and the schematic. The OPT's are difficult due to very high B+ voltage. They are expensive. He built his version for 1100$. If you are interested I have a long and very detailed build guide with photos and schematic, it is a very conservative design that puts out 20 watts SE.

Previous Topic: dynaco
Next Topic: Wave 20 AV - 20 DT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:35:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout