Home » Audio » Pro Sound » How to split voice and music
How to split voice and music [message #64045] Sat, 18 September 2010 17:59 Go to next message
Wolfgang is currently offline  Wolfgang
Chancellor
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am looking for a system to split voice from the music like a karaoke thing where you can turn off or at least turn down the voice so only the music can be audible. Can anyone help me please?
Re: How to split voice and music [message #64046 is a reply to message #64045] Sat, 18 September 2010 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bohnam is currently offline  Bohnam
Chancellor
This place: http://www.filebuzz.com/findsoftware/Split_The_Music_And_Voice/1.html

has everything you need to get that job done. They're mainly downloads that will do it for you. Depending on what you want done, it will run you anywhere from $30.00 to $300.00 Good Luck.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Re: How to split voice and music [message #64049 is a reply to message #64046] Sun, 19 September 2010 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Ah, voice remover software, that's the one I need. I found one in the site, thanks. But I still want to find out if that's any good as it would cost me around $20. I want to know what people experienced in using that software.
Thanks a lot.
Re: How to split voice and music [message #64053 is a reply to message #64045] Mon, 20 September 2010 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's all bullshit. It's a scam based on phase shifting the signal to remove anything from the virtual centre channel, under the assumption that only the vocals are panned down the middle and everything else is not. This is almost never the case. And because of that, software like this will give you a really unusable and unlistenable file.

Only use something like this if you want to sing along to a song with no vocals and it meets the condition that you can hear the other instruments in each channel by themselves and the vocals are panned down the centre. This kind of thing does not produce Karaoke quality tracks.

You can not remove vocals from a signal unless they are on a very very narrow f band that no other instruments accompany.

Do not waste your money. If you want to experiment with this use something like the Winamp plugin called "channel mixer"

Your best bet is to actually look for the instrumental mix of the songs you want because very often the B-sides of singles were instrumental versions, so they are fairly common.

Re: How to split voice and music [message #64066 is a reply to message #64053] Mon, 20 September 2010 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
I was in the karaoke business before. There's nothing like looking for the instrumental versions (the so-called "Side B") of the songs you want to convert.

I don't know where you intend to use the instrumentals, but also consider looking for their MIDI equivalents. A lot of them are downloadable from the internet.
Re: How to split voice and music [message #64077 is a reply to message #64053] Wed, 22 September 2010 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the info. I did try some free software online and I wasn't impressed by the result. They just kinda suppressed the vocal and result was horrible. The whole thing was messed up.
Re: How to split voice and music [message #64100 is a reply to message #64045] Fri, 24 September 2010 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It is also worth a mention while we are on the subject that Audacity includes a VST plugin for removing vocals using the "remove center panned vocals" method.

I have attached the plugin, in case someone has an older install or for some reason it is not in their directory:

%driveletter%:\Program Files\Audacity\Plugins

Re: How to split voice and music [message #64143 is a reply to message #64100] Thu, 30 September 2010 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
Thanks for sharing the plugin Adveser. Indeed, now that we are in this topic I'm thinking of toying with this plugin to produce karaoke versions of recent songs I like. Need I say I like to sing in parties? Smile

Anyhow, I'm not yet very famliar with Audacity. Is it a freeware? Secondly, will it work in a Mac?
Re: How to split voice and music [message #64144 is a reply to message #64143] Thu, 30 September 2010 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
jazzlover wrote on Thu, 30 September 2010 08:31
Thanks for sharing the plugin Adveser. Indeed, now that we are in this topic I'm thinking of toying with this plugin to produce karaoke versions of recent songs I like. Need I say I like to sing in parties? Smile

Anyhow, I'm not yet very famliar with Audacity. Is it a freeware? Secondly, will it work in a Mac?

Butting in to let you know that yes, Audacity is free and yes it is available as a Mac download. Here's a link to a page you should find useful.

P.S. I like singing at parties too!
Re: How to split voice and music [message #64155 is a reply to message #64045] Sat, 02 October 2010 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Now that you guys are hip to audacity, there is another important program to consider: Guitar Pro

It is not free, but 90% of the songs I want are available for it. This program can create very realistic MIDI files for Bass Drums and Guitars by using the "Realistic sound engine" and whatever they are tabbing the vocals with can be muted.

Currently (as I type this) i'm re-recording the tracks in audacity with a loopback adapter and remixing them for an instrumental mix that I can sing along to for demoing purposes.

I'll post the results whenever I have them.

If you are a really good engineer you can turn these things into what sounds like a legit recording took place.

Previous Topic: Normalizing
Next Topic: MIDI Arrangers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:28:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout