Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Decor and aesthetics
Decor and aesthetics [message #63781] Tue, 10 August 2010 01:24 Go to next message
Frontrowticket is currently offline  Frontrowticket
Chancellor
I'm following the threads here about decor in relation to sound and sound proofing. the thought of plastering styrofoam or egg boxes on my walls makes me shudder! I am going to go for the full ritzy red carpet look. I want tassles, velour and plush armchair seats with side tables. Does one have to sacrifice style for sound?
Re: Decor and aesthetics [message #63783 is a reply to message #63781] Tue, 10 August 2010 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
I'm pretty sure that egg boxes can be covered with velour if it comes to it. I hope you aren't gonna forget the popcorn machine and ice-cream freezer to add to that atmosphere Mad . Seriously though, if it's what you want and you can do it then go for it is what I say.
Re: Decor and aesthetics [message #64150 is a reply to message #63781] Fri, 01 October 2010 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wonderwoll is currently offline  Wonderwoll
Baron
I'm all for the right to make a room look good, but the sound and technicals in general have to be first! In order of priority I think about how somethings looks, how it sounds, vision, lighting, comfort.
Re: Acoustics and Aesthetics [message #64151 is a reply to message #64150] Sat, 02 October 2010 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Speakers with controlled directivity can really help sound quality from 200Hz up, even in troublesome rooms. And multiple subs help smooth room modes, improving sound quality at lower frequencies. So some of the problems room acoustics give us can be at least partially mitigated with the right speakers and setup.

Re: Decor and aesthetics [message #64251 is a reply to message #64150] Mon, 11 October 2010 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
Wonderwoll wrote on Fri, 01 October 2010 21:38
I'm all for the right to make a room look good, but the sound and technicals in general have to be first! In order of priority I think about how somethings looks, how it sounds, vision, lighting, comfort.

I so agree! After setting up your sound system, you then decorate the rest of the room. It makes it a lot easier, and you don't have to move things around to re-wire, etc....
Re: Decor and aesthetics [message #64363 is a reply to message #63781] Mon, 18 October 2010 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
Frontrowticket wrote on Tue, 10 August 2010 01:24
I'm following the threads here about decor in relation to sound and sound proofing. the thought of plastering styrofoam or egg boxes on my walls makes me shudder! I am going to go for the full ritzy red carpet look. I want tassles, velour and plush armchair seats with side tables. Does one have to sacrifice style for sound?

Relax Danny Smile Do not sacrifice style for sound if you wish. Have your tassles, velour and plush armchair seats with side tables. You can design the acoustics based on your room layout later.
Re: Decor and aesthetics [message #64427 is a reply to message #63781] Thu, 21 October 2010 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey, you'd be surprised how nice some dark colored egg shell can look! Razz

Seriously, though, design and install the sound system first and make sure everything is good. Then start worrying about aesthetics. I'm sure you can figure out a way to get the look you want without compromising sound quality, and vice versa.
Re: Acoustics and Aesthetics [message #64832 is a reply to message #64151] Tue, 23 November 2010 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 01:21

Speakers with controlled directivity can really help sound quality from 200Hz up, even in troublesome rooms. And multiple subs help smooth room modes, improving sound quality at lower frequencies. So some of the problems room acoustics give us can be at least partially mitigated with the right speakers and setup.

This is the best advice but I think this is costly. How many subs would you recommend in order to have a good sound quality? Anyway, I watch movies at night and aesthetics doesn't matter to me anymore because the room is dark. Razz
Re: Acoustics and Aesthetics [message #64836 is a reply to message #64832] Tue, 23 November 2010 10:39 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Use two to four subs in different places in the room for best sound quality. In some rooms, two is enough, especially if the mains provide adequate bass too. The idea is to spread the sound sources around, to smooth room modes. You want multiple sound sources in the modal range, below about 150Hz. So if your mains don't provide much bass, go with three or four subs. You can go with more than four subs, but the concept of diminishing returns applies here.
Previous Topic: Sound proofing a room
Next Topic: Hall Acoustics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:53:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout