Home » Audio » Radio » Digital radio
Digital radio [message #63574] Fri, 30 July 2010 05:58 Go to next message
JiminyCricket is currently offline  JiminyCricket
Baron
I need a 'digital radio for dummies' kind of guide so I can explain to my gran what it is and how it works! She caught the word 'microwave' on a TV news show and is very suspicious Sad
Re: Digital radio [message #63712 is a reply to message #63574] Fri, 06 August 2010 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, there are microwaves that burn things and microwaves without enough energy to burn things. Just tell here it is the latter.

Re: Digital radio [message #63719 is a reply to message #63712] Fri, 06 August 2010 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old Timer is currently offline  Old Timer
Chancellor
LMAO Adsever! Hey you could add that it needs a special chip in it and hope you don't catch her feeding her old transistor a greasy snack one day Very Happy .
Re: Digital radio [message #63734 is a reply to message #63719] Sat, 07 August 2010 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Songs4Life is currently offline  Songs4Life
Baron
I think the best way to explain to older folks, or anyone else of any age group, for that matter, is give them a hands-on experience of digital radio at work. I am sure you can find one to show your granma. Or, worst case, google for it, and show her a picture of it.
Re: Digital radio [message #63738 is a reply to message #63734] Sat, 07 August 2010 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taylor-Sue is currently offline  Taylor-Sue
Chancellor
I am with Songs here. In my experience older people (and some younger folks too) need to see something in action to really get it. Having said that I still haven't managed to make my gran understand that you can check email at any computer anywhere in the world Smile
Re: Digital radio [message #63741 is a reply to message #63738] Sat, 07 August 2010 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Songs4Life is currently offline  Songs4Life
Baron
Explain to her it is just like snail mail except you don't have to put it in an envelope and you don't need to use stamps. I just had a great time webhosting to my friend who drives 14-wheeler trucks for a living. I had to to explain to him it's just like renting a shop or a space in the mall to do business. Only difference is that in cyberspace things go so much faster.

Same thing with digital radios. Instead of valves, there are transistors. That's the main difference. Unless you are talking about web radio. Then it's slightly more different.

Hope that is useful.
Re: Digital radio [message #63763 is a reply to message #63574] Mon, 09 August 2010 03:55 Go to previous message
soundman is currently offline  soundman
Chancellor
I was always under the impression that radio waves aren't on the same frequency as microwaves so she may have got 2 stories confused? Just tell her she won't be able to pick up her favourite stations if she doesn't get one. Smile
Previous Topic: Transistor Radios
Next Topic: Digital vs Analog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:01:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout