Home » Audio » Speaker » Speaker brands to avoid
Speaker brands to avoid [message #63255] Fri, 25 June 2010 11:51 Go to next message
Chuckles101 is currently offline  Chuckles101
Chancellor
A lot of us know that some speaker companies simply charge extra for the same product. Some speakers break down easily or do not do what they say they will. Have any of you encountered any such speakers?
Re: Speaker brands to avoid [message #63258 is a reply to message #63255] Fri, 25 June 2010 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
I have always been bad (until marriage honestly) about dealing with anything electrical. My receiver that is in the living room right now is years and years old. I have never gotten faulty type issues before but I have gotten a bunk phone once or twice.
Re: Speaker brands to avoid [message #69606 is a reply to message #63255] Sun, 25 September 2011 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brian21 is currently offline  brian21
Baron
I've never had a terrible experience personally, but I've heard some bad things about Bose products. They seem pretty expensive too, so I think I'll stay away from that brand, at least for now.
Re: Speaker brands to avoid [message #69621 is a reply to message #63255] Mon, 26 September 2011 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, I think Bose speakers are overpriced junk. Give me a speaker that will actually move air. I'm also not a fan of Peavey (sorry if anyone here is).
Re: Speaker brands to avoid [message #69984 is a reply to message #63255] Thu, 03 November 2011 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
I personally wouldn't say all Bose speakers are overpriced junk. My friend has some reasonably priced Bose PC speakers that he uses for his laptop. They're not as bad as I thought they would be. I would agree that you can definitely do better than Bose though, so I understand why the brand gets so much negative attention.
Re: Speaker brands to avoid [message #69997 is a reply to message #69984] Thu, 03 November 2011 08:20 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Here's a review of the Bose Acoustimass System with some alternative brand suggestions: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

For the kinds of speakers you find at big box stores like Best Buy, you're fine with any of the major speaker names like Polk, JBL, Klipsch, etc. But don't expect their least expensive lines to sound very good. For example, a Polk M10 isn't in the same league as their more expensive RTI-A1: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/bookshelf.php

One product you should always avoid is the big no-name speaker (e.g. three way with a 10" woofer that sells for the same price as a smaller name brand speaker. These are called "White Van Specials", and they always sound worse than bad.

Now, if you want a good sounding speaker but don't have hundreds and hunderds of dollars, I recommend the Parts Express BR1 kit. Building it is a two hour job, and you'll have to solder the crossover parts to the circuit board, but in the end you'll have a speaker that does everyting well, including surprisingly good bass for a 6.5" woofer. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-640

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies/The-Dayton-Audio-BR-1/5308863_g88p8F#324071336_xzNYX
Previous Topic: Constant Directivity Speakers Using DSP
Next Topic: Speaker on Black Friday
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:12:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout