Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Will increasing the primary imodance of my output trannies hurt?
Will increasing the primary imodance of my output trannies hurt? [message #8173] Wed, 19 May 2004 19:28 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi everyone,
I have a push pull amp, that gives out about 8 watts (the antique electronics kit using 11bm8 tubes). the output trannies on this are below average (for example they have only one 8 ohm tap), and i would like to relace them. SInce i only need 2-3 watts with my speakers, i was thinking of getting traannies with a much higher primary impedance (and of course 4/8/16 taps). This should reduce power to about 2-3 watts, but won;t
a) my tubes last longer, and
b) the distortion go down?
any drawbacks (apart from loss of power?)
-akhilesh

Re: Will increasing the primary imodance of my output trannies hurt? [message #8174 is a reply to message #8173] Wed, 19 May 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The idea of any transformer is impedance matching. So the turns ratio between primary and secondary is to match output impedance with the load.

Re: Will increasing the primary imodance of my output trannies hurt? [message #8175 is a reply to message #8173] Thu, 20 May 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
Hi Akhilesh,

Yes, an increase in primary Z will generally lower distortion, lower the output Z of the amp (increase damping factor), and the HF response might be just slightly lower, depending on the OPT. Higher order harmonics may raise their head a little, but if the design is good, this may not be a problem.

If the tubes are run class A, there won't be any increase in output tube life. IF the output tubes are run AB, life should be increased, but to what extent depends on the idle current, plate dissapation etc.

Hope this helps.

Re: Will increasing the primary imodance of my output trannies hurt? [message #8176 is a reply to message #8175] Thu, 20 May 2004 13:25 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanx Positron. That is very helpful!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: anyone heard a Darling amp here?
Next Topic: Initial review of ASUSA (Antique Sound USA) K2003 SET amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 13:23:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout