Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » tube preamp recommendations
tube preamp recommendations [message #8155] Sat, 24 April 2004 13:29 Go to next message
IAIN is currently offline  IAIN
Esquire
I am putting together my first hifi system. I started out with a budget but that got blown to hell quickly. I am stuck on trying to find a preamp diy or otherwise that is quality without breaking the bank $1000 or under. I wish I could listen to several before I purchase one but alas there are no audio stores around here that have tube preamps I could demo.

I have the following components so far....
CanaryAudio CA-300 8wpc Monoblocks http://www.canaryaudio.com/300.htm
Klipsch Belle's
Custom made isobaric subwoofer disgned by someone who worked for cary which will need a crossover and a ss amp
TMC TMC Speaker cable 
Rotel RCD 1072
Turntable plan on picking up a thorens

What preamp would compliment the components I have so far?
Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
IAIN

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1076617810.jpg
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1076618182.jpg
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1076618407.jpg

Re: tube preamp recommendations [message #8156 is a reply to message #8155] Sat, 24 April 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Seems like one of Canary Audio's preamps would be a good match for your system, since you already have a Canary Audio amp. But there are so many good products out there, you really have a lot of options.

I'm using a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp, and it is a pretty good amplifier. It's avaialble inexpensively as a DIY product, so you can build it yourself. They look pretty basic in stock trim, but some folks go all out on having a chassis made that makes their DIY efforts look world class. That's a pretty good way to go.

Re: tube preamp recommendations [message #8157 is a reply to message #8156] Sun, 25 April 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I thought the same thing about the canary's but the individual I purchased them from had tried two canary pre's and didn't think much of them. Of course what sounds good to one doesn't necessarily sound good to another. I have thought about the bottlehead with the upgrade options especially for the price. I have no electronics background at all and the thought of getting zappped does not appeal to me. Have you tried the phono pre from bottlehead?

Re: tube preamp recommendations [message #8158 is a reply to message #8155] Sun, 25 April 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Iain,

Check out Hagerman Tech and also its discussion forum at audiocircle. Jim has a very loyal following. You can get a finished Clarinet unit, or the half-kit is at very attractively priced option.

Gar.

Re: tube preamp recommendations [message #8159 is a reply to message #8157] Sun, 25 April 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those Canary preamps sure look nice. I'd like to hear one to find out for myself.

About the Bottlehead gear, I have a brand-new, still-in-the-box Seduction phono stage kit with the C4S constant current source. I probably won't have time to assemble it until the end of the summer though. Too many other things on my plate right now.

Re: tube preamp recommendations [message #8161 is a reply to message #8157] Tue, 27 April 2004 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
IAIN,

If you don't feel comfortable with DIY you should of course consider other alternatives, but if you do feel comfortable I second the Foreplay recommendation. I have two, with various upgrades, one from the kit, the second I did myself.

Re: tube preamp recommendations [message #8162 is a reply to message #8161] Wed, 28 April 2004 07:51 Go to previous message
Esquire
From what I've read the bottlehead is easy to assemble but I would just have to do research before I dove into it to keep myself from getting zapped. The bottlehead is so affordable I could get one of those to start with and then try other preamps later. I have also been looking at the Zen ZSLA-1 http://www.decware.com/linestage/zp1.htm which seems to be a very simple design and also affordable.

Previous Topic: Where could I learn to build amps like these?
Next Topic: newbie? audiophile definitions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 00:49:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout