Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Old Marantz vs New ART
Old Marantz vs New ART [message #8008] Sat, 07 March 2009 10:35 Go to next message
Scott L is currently offline  Scott L
Chancellor
So, for the mean time, my trusty really old Marantz 1070 amp is down for the count. My fault: I had been using the a/c receptacle in the back to power on and off an additonal amplifier, and the consumption rating at turn on surpassed it's capabilities... gee I hope it's just the power switch.
Well, I own 6 power amps, and most of them are down because they had been left "off" for too long a time. (Another story)
Enter the Applied Research Technology ATR SLA2 power amp to replace it. It actually still works. It's rated at like 200 watts/ channel compared to the puny little 35 watts per channel Marantz.
The Marantz kicked it's butt. The Marantz has bass qualities that are deep and gut wrenching. The ART sounds soft by comparison.
Maybe it's because the 1070 is an old bi-polar design and I am not sure what the ART is (??)

Re: Old Marantz vs New ART [message #8009 is a reply to message #8008] Tue, 10 March 2009 16:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll bet you just cooked the power switch, so you can get your tried and true favorite back going again.

Previous Topic: ol' realistic reciever
Next Topic: Power supply
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:57:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout