Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Color Me "Transparent"
Color Me "Transparent" [message #7925] Mon, 22 January 2007 14:55 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's what my upstairs system is saying after I replaced the tube amp with a simple 25K ohm Goldpoint attenuator in a gray Hammond chassis. I still need to "Wardsweb" it with a wood front, etc., but the sound is really good for the $140 cost. It's not a good match for the Paramours because their input sensitivity is so low that I have to listen with it turned up almost all the way, but with the high sensitivity Monarchy Class A amps I'm listening with the volume set about halfway.

For those who haven't been following Goldpoint's progress with their stepped attenuators, the 1% Dale resistors on their older attenuators have been replaced with 0.1% surface mount devices on their new Mini V design. The SM devices also permit a smaller size that's not much bigger than an Alps blue velvet pot.

Re: Color Me "Transparent" [message #7926 is a reply to message #7925] Tue, 23 January 2007 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very cool, Fred. A good friend of mine gave me a stepped attenuator to try. I had used it on Paramours, but like you said, it worked better on other gear. I use it with a Stoetkit, which makes more sense because it has more gain. Turn the Stoetkit's built-in potentiometer all the way up and it's effectively out of circuit, so using the stepped attenuator gives full benefit.

Re: Color Me "Transparent" [message #7927 is a reply to message #7926] Sun, 11 February 2007 19:18 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
So true.
I originally boght my Goldpoints to use in a Foreplay and it tamed output and did indeed sound way more transparent.
Used it instead of a pre-amp when my only source was the 2 volt Sony SACD player.

Previous Topic: Reference Line 2000 vs. 3000 Passive Preamp?
Next Topic: RAP500
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:12:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout