Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » NAD amps.
NAD amps. [message #7901] Thu, 10 August 2006 03:45 Go to next message
telegraph.hill is currently offline  telegraph.hill
Viscount
What do you think to NAD amps? They are quite highly regarded in some circles in the UK.

A friend of mine had one, and I'm thinking of getting one.

Re: NAD amps. [message #7902 is a reply to message #7901] Thu, 10 August 2006 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think highly of them, sort of a top of the mainstream stuff.

Re: NAD amps. [message #7904 is a reply to message #7902] Fri, 11 August 2006 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I like their stuff; I had a 3020 and 2100 and I have a broken 7120 on hand. The later amps have a reputation of failing after a few years and it is usually the transistors that go so they are expensive to get fixed.

Re: NAD amps. [message #7905 is a reply to message #7904] Fri, 11 August 2006 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
telegraph.hill is currently offline  telegraph.hill
Viscount
Thanks for your opinions.

So NAD are kind of top of the mid-range, but not high end?

Re: NAD amps. [message #7907 is a reply to message #7905] Fri, 11 August 2006 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's right.

Re: NAD amps. [message #7908 is a reply to message #7907] Sun, 13 August 2006 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Interesting; how does one come to that conclusion?
I would say some of their stuff is very musical and fairley priced while some is no better than Best Buy stuff. I don't know about defining them as top of the mid-fi? I couldn't even tell what that would mean.
Whats Mid_Fi sound like?

Re: NAD amps. [message #7909 is a reply to message #7908] Sun, 13 August 2006 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, yeah, I guess "mid-fi" is a fairly subjective and artitrary term, isn't it? I like NAD, have some of their gear, and didn't mean to be derogative of NAD. What I consider "mid-fi" are produts made in large quantities on an assembly line using parts purchased as commodites from various suppliers and sold retail through several commercial chains. Open up one amp and you'll see parts from various suppliers; Buy the same model amp a year later and find parts in the same locations from different companies. Mid-fi equipment is mass produced as opposed to being handmade. These things don't necessarily make what I'm calling "mid-fi" bad, and in fact, many mid-fi products sound much better to me that some "boutique" high-end products. But the market, manufacturing style and product perception is different.

Re: NAD amps. [message #7910 is a reply to message #7909] Mon, 14 August 2006 12:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats true. NAD's thing was always that they were designed in England and assembled in Taiwan to more exacting standards than typical gear. The old 3020 is still a great sounding amp even by todays standards. But they do have a rep of poor reliability on somme of their gear so I guess I am saying do a little research and get the piece with the good rep and youm will be in good shape.
I heard the Infinity Primus speakers recently and while they are not my cup of tea they sounded very good with a Yamaha 5 ch reciever. That would fit the mid-fi definition as stated I assume.
Or it could mean mid-priced; in which case a lot of our gear would fit the description.

Previous Topic: memory presets won't hold frequency
Next Topic: TX coupled amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:43:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout