Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » What does Yamaha use
What does Yamaha use [message #7895] Mon, 12 June 2006 20:23 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
In their M series amplifiers that make them sound as good as they do. I picked up a M-50 to run my Maggies and tried it out the other night. I'm not ready to sell off my Mac stuff but that amp sure sounds clean compared to most SS amps I've heard.

Of course most SS amps I've heard are vintage so maybe the newer ones sound as good as the M series?

Re: What does Yamaha use [message #7896 is a reply to message #7895] Mon, 12 June 2006 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Not sure about the M-50, but I had two Yamaha amps in the late 1970's. The first used discrete bipolar transistors, the second used a large integrated circuit (about 3" x 2" x 1/2"). I don't know if the IC was proprietary or not but I suspect it was. It sounded better to me than the one with discrete components, but both were very good.

Re: What does Yamaha use [message #7897 is a reply to message #7896] Mon, 19 June 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
I have a Yamaha C4 and M4 that sound very good. In the literature it states that there are no electrolytic capacitors in the signal path. That help but I think sound engieering is a major part of why Yamaha sounds good. I suspect they also listen to there stuff.

Dave

Re: What does Yamaha use [message #7898 is a reply to message #7897] Tue, 20 June 2006 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think you're right. Yamaha makes good equipment.

Re: What does Yamaha use- Update [message #7899 is a reply to message #7895] Tue, 08 August 2006 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I just picked up an M-60 amp and a C-60 preamp in a thrift store. I have not tried the preamp yet but the amp sounds quite good. It is amazing when I run it in Class A mode but it runs as hot a a tube amp when I do. It is worth evey penny of the $49 I paid for it!

I'll be very suprised if the preamp is not equally impressive.

Dave

Re: What does Yamaha use- Update [message #7900 is a reply to message #7899] Wed, 09 August 2006 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow - Excellent! I think that's the same model Akhilesh bough a year or two ago. It's a nice one!

Re: What does Yamaha use- Update [message #7903 is a reply to message #7900] Thu, 10 August 2006 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I was thinking that there had to be a pre for it. So I went back to the same thrift store a few days later and there was a C-60 preamp, missing its volume control knob, sitting on the shelf for $30. Well, a few weeks ealier, I had bought a very beat up C-40 for $40.00 that had a good knob (I wasn't sure why I bought it at the time, but knew I'd be kicking myself if I didn't). I've swaped the knob and am going to hook it up this weekend. I hope it works!

Dave

Re: What does Yamaha use [message #7938 is a reply to message #7895] Thu, 26 April 2007 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
To me the newer ones sound better than the mac stuff but thats just my opinion. I found that the macs had that extra but comes with my ear being good.

Re: What does Yamaha use [message #7940 is a reply to message #7897] Tue, 08 May 2007 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
The only thing that I kind of go against when it comes to a yamaha is the triton. I love the triton compared to the yamaha.

Re: What does Yamaha use- Update [message #7966 is a reply to message #7903] Thu, 27 September 2007 12:22 Go to previous message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
Smart cookie. Did the knob fit right. You know sometimes, knobs are made differently when it comes to different versions of equipments.

Previous Topic: Very Good Construction article
Next Topic: Excellent Customer Service from Krell...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:15:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio