Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it?
Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it? [message #7796] Wed, 13 April 2005 22:02 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There is some discussion on this elsewhere. It was sort of like
I came in on the middle of the discussion.

Looks to be a bargain gainclone and those using them want to
modify the power supply and get it off batteries.

I see the slot for this as a dedicated computer amp, but the
users are using it with their high end components like turntables
and getting a good response. Also some entrepreneurs are doing
upgrade tweaks.

Re: Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it? [message #7798 is a reply to message #7796] Thu, 14 April 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've been thinking about it too, for my Khorns. From the curves I have seen, it's dead flat. I may give in and buy one soon!
WOuld love to hear from others who have actually heard it.
-akhilesh

Re: Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it? [message #7799 is a reply to message #7798] Thu, 14 April 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Here is one thread. You may have to subscribe to ask questions.
It's a good place. I've been on it for years.

http://fullrangedriver.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=5031&topics_threshold=0&topics_offset=14&topics_sort_mode=commentDate_desc&topics_find=&forumId=1

[Maybe this thread should be in One Chip Amps?} Let me know to move.

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t_3.html

(See Big Rig Into T-Rex)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-50870.html

(parts List and construction details)

There seems to be a lot out there about this but it's all new
to me.

I'll be interested to see where this goes. What I noticed was that
Godzilla was using the same speaks I am (but not in a straight pipe
which is the Fostex 127e.

Re: Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it? [message #7800 is a reply to message #7799] Thu, 14 April 2005 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Lon; I have one downstairs on the Pi 4's. I swap it in and out with the Gainclone and my modified Dyna 70. It drives the pi's loud enough that I can play along with the music. As long as you keep the demand for power down it has a nice clean open sound. In the den on the HT Polk RT 25i's it really does sound good but that room is small and I never have to raise the volume above 1/4. It's powered with a ratshack 1.5a wall wart but I hear it really needs 1.8a or better to reach full potential. For 20$ though it really cannot be beat. Not in the same league as the Dyna and loses a little to the GC but not bad.

Re: Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it? [message #7801 is a reply to message #7800] Fri, 15 April 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
M,

Where would you say the sweetspot is on the frequency spectrum of these amps, or would you consider them an all-around performer? For example, in general, SS excels in bass, SET in mid. I'd like to know if these would work well powering a supertweeter in a multi-amp system.

gar.

Re: Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it? [message #7802 is a reply to message #7801] Fri, 15 April 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats a tough question. At low volume the bass is still there and the highs are pretty sweet and this is driving the Pi 4's. So using the amp within it's sweet spot it has a nice balance; good vocals, not shrill. Picking up the volume it starts to fragment and the highs become pronounced and a little mettallic and the mids collapse somewhat.
So I would say the response is balanced throughout the frequency range at reasonable levels. Comparing it too my EL 84 PP amp it sounds a little thin and weaker in the midrange, with less power through the lows . However the highs are more defined while not becoming etched and harsh until you crank the volume. Trying to compare SET's with anything else is just about moot since every SET i have heard sounds very different from all the other SET's and from all other amps of any flavor.
So; my opinion, I would say it would make a nice HF tweeter amp unless you are used to exotic tube amps. Hope this is helpfull,J.R.

thx. (nt) [message #7803 is a reply to message #7802] Fri, 15 April 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it? [message #7804 is a reply to message #7800] Fri, 15 April 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just lately saw these replies-- must have missed one of the mail
updates where I usually see this stuff first.

We see here what works with the larger builds, but what would be a good match is desing for nearfield computer speaks with this amp?
Any suggestions or build topics? I am firmly entrenched in the
single driver camp (mostly because I do not have an electronics background.)

Re: Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it? [message #7805 is a reply to message #7804] Sat, 16 April 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sonic Impact sells the little planar system for 40$ that sounds great. My neighbor has one pair and we tried the T-Amp on them and it is worlds ahead of the stock Altecs he was using.
For building why not try Brian Bells DIY Jordan build. It is a very small SD speaker that would work as a computor monitor. He uses it with the GC and loves it. The T-amp should work just as well as the GC; I use both myself and they are comparable. His site is BrianGT or look up Gainclones and he will be there. He does a photo essay on the build that is very thorough.

SoundPax [Re: Sonic Impact amp-- any thoughts on it? [message #7806 is a reply to message #7805] Sat, 16 April 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Groovy. The planars and the SI amp come in package for $70
retail. The ad copy is great too: "after _months_ of research...." [emphasis added].

So the planars are cardboard with transducers running through the
Sonic Impact amp? Or are they true planars membranes? I remember an elegant planar design put forth at one of the zen forums-- that was a long time ago. Construction details were never forthcoming from the author.

This is obviously a 'high retail' product. But I certainly haven't
seen it or anything like it in the stores. Not to be snooty, but it
sort of looks like something found at your favorite Box Box store.

As to the Jordan, yes I've been fascinated by Jim Griffin's build
for years. But the price of the Jordan is getting further out of reach as our currency devalues and the war goes on. I good looking
build from BrianGT. My plan was to retrofit 2 well made carcasses
I have with the Jordan 92s or a single driver equivalent of high quality but lower price point.

Thanks for the BrianGT link. It shows a lot of detail on that build.

Previous Topic: I wish there had been more to fix!
Next Topic: DIY vs. pre-manufacturered chip amp?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 04:27:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio