Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Sonic Impact Technologies Class T Amp
Sonic Impact Technologies Class T Amp [message #7754] Mon, 22 November 2004 15:21 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I've got more amps than I shake a stick at, and I prefer diy (even if it is more expensive!), but for $39 or less this sure looks interesting for a den, office, kid's room, Holiday present for a stereophonically challenged friend, etc. Has anyone heard it?

The 6 Moons review is attached. The tweaks mentioned at the end are particularly interesting.

Re: Sonic Impact Technologies Class T Amp [message #7755 is a reply to message #7754] Mon, 22 November 2004 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Someone brought one to an audio meeting recently. He had remounted it in a project box with real speaker terminals and rca jacks, an Alps volume pot, and a 12 volt rechargable battery as the power supply. Couldn't do a proper listen because these meeting are rowdy, but it sounded very nice to me driving a pair of Fostex Voigt pipes and 3rd Rethm Lowther driver speakers. Picture at http://wardsweb.org/LSB/11_06_04/sa08.html

btw, this post should be in the single chip amp forum.

Re: Sonic Impact Technologies Class T Amp [message #7756 is a reply to message #7754] Mon, 22 November 2004 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Parts Express has them for $29.87. I've been thinking about one of these, but after reading the review maybe it's time to order a couple. These could be the basis for a very nice bi-amp system (and inexpensive)....Colin

Re: Sonic Impact Technologies Class T Amp [message #7757 is a reply to message #7754] Mon, 22 November 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I guessed from the "Class T" designnation that it was a Tripath amp. Sure enough, it is. Pretty cool! Great price too!

As an aside, one thing that always cracks me up is that people who are fond of SET amps seem to be attracted to the Tripath too. What's funny is that they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Not that either is good or bad, it's just funny that people might like tubes, then dislike analog transistor amps, and then back to liking pulse modulated intergrated circuits. Who'd a thunk it?

I like 'em all. If it's a cool toy, I like it.

Re: Sonic Impact Technologies Class T Amp [message #7758 is a reply to message #7754] Tue, 23 November 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It shouldn't take long for DIY tripath-based amps to start popping up. But the $30 price tag will be very difficult to beat.

Re: Sonic Impact Technologies Class T Amp [message #7759 is a reply to message #7758] Tue, 23 November 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm wondering what the supplies are like in the parts houses, or if there are conditions of sale that prevent them from stocking Tripath chips.

Re: Doping [message #7760 is a reply to message #7754] Thu, 25 November 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
The SI has been discussed at length over at the Audio Circle Forums. I have used the Eval. board from T-Path as well as hacked into 15 or so of the SI amps.....yes they do sound good, not like tubes, not like Sand. I think my Eval board may be a little cleaner but they are very close. In any event, the SI does not sound all that good when driven by AA batteries....a regulated power supply is better....a big 12 volt amp feeding a capacitor bank is the best. My Cap bank has eight 6800uf and 4 10,000 uf caps in parallel. It will run the amp for 20-30 seconds after the battery is unplugged. The battery will power the amp for at least 30 hours. I use an "Everstart" "jumpstarter" battery from Wally World. The SI amp is a little hard to "hack" due to the SMD's that are very close to some critical connections....but it can be done! They make no heat to speak of so I like sticking them in nice wooden cigar boxes. They sound good and smell good too. Now, here I go again....IT IS MY OPINION that the 2024 chip used in the SI and my 2024 Eval board sound better than the higher power ones THAT I HAVE HEARD. The 2024 will easily drive "my favorite speaker" to over 100db....at the couch. What is really mind boggling is not just the amp but the "cardboard speakers" they sell (Sound Pax). The combo is crazy good sounding....way better than my mother in law's "Kenwood rack system". I use the "sound Pax" speakers for my TV ! I use a "Titanic" sub with them. I am sure most of you would guess that I just might have plenty of "real" speakers to choose from.....the "Sound Pax" simply sound good when used for HT.....and they are cheap and look cool. SI also sells the "Sound Pads"....honest to goodness.....NXT transducers fixed to cardboard circles and made to stick on surfaces to "turn them into speakers". I bought 20 pair and had a ton of fun. My shipping boxes sound pretty good with 2 transducers on them! And by "pretty good" I mean VERY good. I know it sounds like a bad joke but one listen to my buddy "Joel's" 2-driver "FedEx boxes" will destroy that notion. A college kid could put together a system with them and the amp that would kill his buddies and no one would steal it! There is a thread about the "Fed Ex boxes" over at the Decware forum if any of you are interested. Lots of fun to be had from Sonic Impact.

last post about SI, not "doping"! [message #7761 is a reply to message #7760] Thu, 25 November 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
NT

Re: Doping [message #7762 is a reply to message #7760] Mon, 06 December 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know Ed I thought I might be losing it because I think the cardboard sounds damned good. The soundpax speakers are doing duty as my computor system. For a while I absolutely refused to believe my own self, thinking they could not possibly sound good. Thanks for the validation.

cardboard speakers [message #7765 is a reply to message #7762] Wed, 08 December 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
They really are amazing aren't they? I call them "B*se quality" speakers. Although that is giving to much credit to B*se "quality".
Ed

Previous Topic: Do I need a high powered SS when a GC might do?
Next Topic: TEAC A-L700P Review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 21:55:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout