Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Auricaps
Auricaps [message #7746] Tue, 02 November 2004 09:34 Go to next message
Steve B is currently offline  Steve B
Esquire
This is my first post here. I was told that Auricaps sound better than orange drops and generic caps but when I checked the price I got sticker shock. Are they really that good? What's the diff?

Re: Auricaps [message #7747 is a reply to message #7746] Tue, 02 November 2004 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm one of those guys that tend to use Auricaps as coupling caps in my projects. However, I'm ashamed to say that the decision is not based on experimentation, but rather a "better-safe-than-sorry" attitude. Kind of like "Pascal's Wager". My use of Auricaps is based on its reputation from other builders, and truth be told, I have no idea how they stack up against cheaper components.

As far as "boutique" parts are concerned, Auricaps are actually on the "cheap" end of the scale. Check out the crazy prices of Hovland and Jensen at www.partsconnexion.com

I'm not sure if I can use the term "sound good" to describe any capacitors when used as coupling caps. My feelings on coupling caps is the same as those for interconnects. Their use cannot make a system sound better, only worst. It's just that the better ones degrade the signal less, or in a less objectionable way than the poor quality ones.

Gar.

Re: Auricaps [message #7748 is a reply to message #7747] Wed, 03 November 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve B is currently offline  Steve B
Esquire
I see what you mean. I think best for me to buy Auricaps and place them strategically and listen for a difference. I might put them in one side and not the other and have someone move them so I don't know which is which. Do a blind test on myself and listen for a while to discover if I can hear a difference. I could ask other people to listen too. I can keep score of who noticed and which one they liked best. Then I can look and see which one had the Auricaps. If I do this, I'll be sure to report back here.

Re: Auricaps [message #7749 is a reply to message #7748] Fri, 05 November 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cantskienuf is currently offline  Cantskienuf
Esquire
Just keep in mind that caps can require significant break-in time. Auricaps have been known to sound worse until you get 50 - 60 hours on them. With that said, I like 'em.

Re: Auricaps [message #7750 is a reply to message #7749] Sat, 06 November 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
One of the few really audible mods, IMHO. Good ole ceramic caps are heavily veiled, Wima less so but still NSG, Solens nicely detailed but tend to be bright, ICW Clarity much like the Solens at a higher price and finally the Auricaps which let through a lot of detail while still sounding smooth and musical. Bass can be a little boomy, however. Never had any break-in issues with them, always sound good from the start.
Looking forward to trying the oil-in-paper and beeswax types once the bank account recovers from the wedding.

Re: Auricaps [message #7790 is a reply to message #7746] Wed, 16 March 2005 09:21 Go to previous message
jeffreybehr is currently offline  jeffreybehr
Chancellor
Auricaps apparently are fine-sounding caps. There are others too. Read the comments of Mike Elliott (of Counterpoint and AltaVista Audio fame) below.

I have an attitude rather like one of my predecessor posters--I use high-quality coupling caps because I KNOW they sound better and not because I've compared them carefully. When I'm in the 5-star mood, I use TRT DynamiCaps. When I'm in the money-saving mood I use NorthCreek 'propylenes, here http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Zen.html . I use the 625V. NC Harmonys in tubed powersupplies even if I'm using D-Caps for couplers. In solidstate powersupplies I use 100V. Rel/MultiCap metalized 'propylenes and the RTS 'styrenes.

I just ordered a pair Antuique Sound Lab 805DTs, 50W. SETs. When and if I upgrade them, maybe I'll use best-I-can-find teflon-film-tin-foil V-Caps, here http://v-cap.com/tefloncapacitors.html ...maybe.

Coupling capacitors sound as different as amplifiers and at least as different as cables. If you can hear the differences among different interconnect and speaker cables, probably you can hear the differences among various good-sounding caps. Your one-channel-and-listen scheme sounds like an excellent way to find out.

Good luck.

Previous Topic: AUSSIE 15W CLASS A AMP
Next Topic: Trailer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:49:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers