Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Anyone using an Assemblage ST-40?
Anyone using an Assemblage ST-40? [message #7726] Fri, 10 September 2004 14:08 Go to next message
sargon is currently offline  sargon
Esquire
Is there any information regarding upgrades to the Assemblage ST-40? It's a very good amp, but I was wondering if there are any online information to run it in Class A or if there are any other design changes that would improve it's performance.

Re: Anyone using an Assemblage ST-40? [message #7727 is a reply to message #7726] Fri, 10 September 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Sargon,

You're in the wrong forum -- the ST-40 is a tube amp! [Moderator: You may want to transfer this thread to the Tubes forum.]

That said, the ST-40 was the first kit I ever built (c. 1996?) and the first tube amp I ever heard. At the time, I'd never soldered and didn't know a capacitor from a resistor, so it was quite a learning experience. You're right, it's an excellent amp. I still have, use and love mine. It's really a shame that that kit went out of production when the old Parts Connection went out of business.

Unfortunately, I can't help you. I built mine bone stock, as they say (I think there was an upgrade package, which I did incorporate when I built it), and haven't touched it since.

I think what you want to do is convert the EL-34s from pentode to triode operation. Perhaps the people at http://www.partsconnexion.com , the de facto (not legal) successor to the old Parts Connection, have retained the know-how to give you guidance. Have you tried contacting them? If they do have advice, please post it here. I'd be interested. Good luck!

e

Re: Anyone using an Assemblage ST-40? [message #7733 is a reply to message #7726] Sun, 19 September 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The ST-40, like other Parts Connection kits, offered a lot of value for the money. The design and parts quality were comparable to the lower priced Sonic Frontiers components. I recall the price was about $800, and it was the equal to $1,500 to $2,000 EL34 amps one might find at an audio retailer shop.

There was also a "signature" parts upgrade kit for the ST-40 for about $250. It included resistor, cap, and wire upgrades and different signal tubes and binding posts and RCA's. The resistors were upgraded from the usual no name brands to Caddock MS223's for the high current ones and Vishay VTA-55's for the half watt ones. The cap upgrade included four Multicap RTX film and foil caps as replacements for the stock PPMFX coupling caps. The tube upgrade included a JJ Tesla 12AX7 and two Mullard CV4003 rectifiers. The posts and rca's were Vampire. The wire was Kimber AGSS silver. Four EAR isolation feet were also included. I installed most of the upgrades on mine and, as you would expect, it moved the sound up a notch.

Re: Anyone using an Assemblage ST-40? [message #7859 is a reply to message #7727] Sat, 29 October 2005 19:11 Go to previous message
mor2bz is currently offline  mor2bz
Esquire
i trioded my anthem amp one and it was noticably better. do it~!

Previous Topic: Modifications for the Sonic T-Amp
Next Topic: Has someone tried using two Sonic Impact amps?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:48:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio