Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » List of DIY amplifiers
List of DIY amplifiers [message #7657] Thu, 08 January 2004 15:15 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd love to see a list of DIY kits compiled.

If any of you know of some kits you'd like to recommend (and aren't affiliated with the kit makers), please list them here.

Re: List of DIY amplifiers [message #7658 is a reply to message #7657] Sun, 11 January 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Since this is a ss forum, I won't mention the Welborne Laurels I love (notice the Ciceronian praeteritio) and will instead recommend AKSA, which makes very nice 55W and 100W "kitsets" (I think that's Australian for kits). Some pictures of mine at the link below.

Re: List of DIY amplifiers [message #7659 is a reply to message #7658] Sun, 11 January 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Do you know what configuration is the AKSA amplifier? Is it Class A or AB? Are the outputs bipolar or FET, discrete or chip?

Re: List of DIY amplifiers [message #7660 is a reply to message #7659] Tue, 13 January 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad Kizer is currently offline  Brad Kizer
Chancellor
In alphabetical order:

Aspen Amplifiers, http://www.printedelectronics.com/ Hugh offers various preamp and power amp designs in kit form. His AKSA 55w power amp paired well with my Klipsch 10.5's and Aspen's customer service is top shelf before and after the sale.

Pass DIY, http://www.passdiy.com/ If you are interested in Class A solid state this "is" the place.

White Noise Audio, http://www.wnaudio.com/ Because our dollar is so weak against the Euro and UK pound this company is at a distinct disadvantage in the US DIY market. It's ashame because WNA does have some rather interesting designs.

To answer your other question the AKSA uses bipolar or BJT's in a fully discrete push-pull topology and operates in Class AB. More info can be found on Hugh's site.

Re: List of DIY amplifiers [message #7661 is a reply to message #7660] Tue, 13 January 2004 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good info, great links.

Thanks!

Re: List of DIY amplifiers [message #7735 is a reply to message #7657] Fri, 01 October 2004 15:42 Go to previous message
blades976 is currently offline  blades976
Chancellor
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but Passlabs has some cool designs that some people turn into absolute works of art.

Previous Topic: audionet sam v2 & BAT Vk-300x
Next Topic: Pass Zen Amp - anyone ever build?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:31:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio