Home » Audio » Movies & Music » internet radio
internet radio [message #7428] Fri, 06 April 2007 10:45 Go to next message
Melissa Parham is currently offline  Melissa Parham
Chancellor
Hey everyone, it looks like we should be up and running by next week with our new radio station, right here on ART. I wanted to let you know if there is anything you are interested in hearing, or would like some of your personal favorites on the radio please feel free to email them to me (they must be in MP3 format). I look forward to hearing from you!!
Thanks Melissa

Re: internet radio [message #7429 is a reply to message #7428] Fri, 06 April 2007 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Diana Krall
Kate Bush
Oingo Boingo
Yes
Genesis
Moodies
Mushroom Jazz
Mussorgsky "Pictures at an Exhibition"
Beethoven
Gentle Giant

That's just a few. We'll think of others. I'm sure the rest of the gang will chime in too.

Does the music licensing agreement cover anything people find? I know part of what you've done is deal with the royalties in addition to the streaming audio server cost. How do those royalties get accounted for? I mean, I don't really care how the contract is written between the hosing service and the musicians except that I wanted to know if there was any material we are excluded from. Can we send you any request and put whatever we want on the station?

Re: internet radio [message #7431 is a reply to message #7429] Sat, 07 April 2007 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melissa is currently offline  Melissa
Viscount
The licensing agreement covers all material goverened by ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. We're covered on anything we would play, with certain limitations like not playing whole albums and things like that. Playlists are restricted so that we cannot violate these agreements. Basically we're covered on anything we play and the royalties are taken out of the money we pay each month.

Re: internet radio [message #7432 is a reply to message #7431] Sun, 08 April 2007 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Hi Melissa,

Can you play independent music, from artists not under contract to anyone?

If so, how would that be handled?

Duke

Re: internet radio [message #7433 is a reply to message #7432] Sun, 08 April 2007 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melissa Parham is currently offline  Melissa Parham
Chancellor
With their permission, sure. Just send us the MP3 files and we'll put it on the station. We have to pay royalties to the record companies for the material they own. That covers us for everything on commercial record labels. Other stuff is no problem, provider the owners don't mind the airplay. Uh, er, I mean streamplay.

Re: internet radio [message #7434 is a reply to message #7433] Sun, 08 April 2007 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thank you very much, Melissa. I will e-mail you once I have some MP-3 files and permission.

Duke

Re: internet radio [message #7437 is a reply to message #7434] Sun, 08 April 2007 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
FYI- We pay monthly---for royalties on ALL copyrighted music. Melissa

Re: internet radio [message #7438 is a reply to message #7432] Sun, 08 April 2007 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Hello Duke, we are learning as we go, and I have copied information from live365 (below) so you can better understand. Melissa

Do I still have to follow the broadcast licensing guidelines as strictly as stated if I want to create an Internet radio station that contains only my originally created music and my performance of such music?

Ordinarily, you must abide by the rules as stated in our Broadcasting Rules and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”). However, if you own the copyrights in both the music and in all sound recordings embodying the performance of the music, you would not need to comply with all the rules that would otherwise be applicable.

In addition, you must still abide by our User's Agreement, Terms of Use, and other guidelines set forth by Live365. Please keep in mind that we do require proper documentation from you. If you are an independent Artist and wish to create an Internet radio station featuring your own music, you can do so by forwarding to us written consent from you, as long as you are the sole owner of the copyrights in both the music and in all sound recordings embodying the performance of such music.

If you wish to create an independent Artist Internet radio station that features music owned and/or controlled by you, please send us a notice stating that you are in fact the Artist being featured and that you own all rights in the music and in all sound recordings embodying the performance of such music (and that no third party, including any record company or other party, owns any such rights) on your Internet radio station. Please provide your DJ name and description of your Internet radio station as well so that we may stamp it as an "independent" station.

If, however, you are featuring someone else's music on your Internet radio station on our site, you must forward to us written consent from the Artist and/or Artists, and any third parties involved (including record companies) that own any of the copyrights in the music or in any of the sound recordings embodying the performance of such music. Please send such documentation to the attention of the Live365 Legal Department via facsimile at (650) 345-7494 or forward via U.S. Mail.

Re: internet radio [message #7440 is a reply to message #7438] Sun, 08 April 2007 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thank you again, Melissa.

The final paragraph seems most applicable in this case.

Would a letter from the (unsigned by any record label) artists stating their full copyright ownership and consenting to your use of their music over ART Radio be sufficient?

Duke

Re: internet radio [message #7441 is a reply to message #7440] Sun, 08 April 2007 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You betcha. A letter stating authorization to play would be just fine. If an unsigned musician would like us to play their music, we'd be happy to put it in the playlist.

If a musician or group is signed with a record label, we're covered because we pay royalies in a lump sum that are divvied up to pay the respective copyright owners. It's part of the contract. If they're independent, then the way they handle their distribution and licensing is up to them, so if they want to be on the ART playlist, we're good. Either way, I think we're covered.

The way our licensing agreement is written, extra moneys are provided for record companies licensing and royalties in addition to those paid for streaming audio service. Anything that isn't owned by record companies is up to us. For example, if we setup a station that played nothing but indie music and/or recorded material that we own, the we would not have to pay the licensed royalties to ASCAP, BMI and SESAC (via Live365). We could sign a waiver and not pay the licensing fees, and instead just pay for the streaming audio server.

Since we plan to play mostly music, we pay the licensing fees. We also plan to run programs like recordings of seminars at LSAF and things like that. We'd love to play independent artists, and encourage everyone to send in material that they'd like to hear.

Previous Topic: Holy Week Movies
Next Topic: Best Kids Movies? (Besides Disney?)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 01:46:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio