Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 pi tower folding?
2 pi tower folding? [message #62984] Sun, 30 May 2010 13:39 Go to next message
grindstone is currently offline  grindstone
Baron
I was gifting some two pi's and a sort of homebrew el84 se thing to a friend as a little intro to tubeville and I read how much the decware guys seem to love the towers.

My buddy doesn't want the form factor of the towers so...I think I know the answer but have to ask anyway--has anybody successfully folded these things?

I mean, I know it's no longer Wayne's design so if it sucks it's my problem. Just trying to get a little more bass than the regular two pi and make a shorter speaker for his pref.

If not, I guess, please kindly count me in for a set of two pi tower plans please.

Thanks for the time.

Re: 2 pi tower variants [message #62985 is a reply to message #62984] Sun, 30 May 2010 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll send you the plans for the towers, some additional thoughts below.

First, the two π tower isn't a transmission line or horn, so folding it is sort of non sequitur. Its tuning mechanism is Helmholtz, so the shape doesn't matter... with the following caveats.

I say it "doesn't matter" but in fact what I mean is the internal standing waves are attenuated rather than incorporated as a tuning mechanism like a horn or transmission line. But even that being the case, it is still important to consider internal standing wave behavior because it will be significant in a cabinet this size.

The only difference between a large bass-reflex cabinet and a large T-Line is that the fundamental standing wave mode in a transmission line is used wheras in a bass reflex, it isn't, or at least it shouldn't be. In a bass-reflex box, Helmholtz resonance is used instead. I suppose you could build a hybrid where both mechanisms were used.

In a transmission line, the port is physically placed where the funadamental node is in a pressure node. If you're building a bass-reflex box, the port should be placed somewhere else, where the fundamental standing wave node is not strong, but rather at a zero-crossing. That way, the only thing present at the port is Helmholtz resonance.

Whether the tuning mechanism is Helmholtz or standing waves, the harmonics should be attenuated with absorbent damping insulation. It also helps to position the port so that odd-harmonics fall on zero-crossings, like I mentioned above. This will also assist in attenuating internal standing waves. If you have pressure modes that line up with the port, they'll show up as little blips in the response.

Having said all that, you can build the two π loudspeaker in any shape you want, in any size between about 1.5ft3 and 5.5ft3, and tune the box to 40Hz. Smaller boxes will have higher cutoffs, larger boxes will go deeper. Put the woofer and tweeter on the baffle fairly close together. It's that simple, in theory. In practice, the larger boxes will start to have internal standing waves that line up in the lower midbass and bass range near where the port is tuned, too low for the insulation to absorb very well. So you'll want to position the woofer and port in the box where the port isn't in a pressure node, and you'll want to span the cross-section with insulation to help attenuate what's left.

Re: 2 pi tower variants [message #62987 is a reply to message #62985] Sun, 30 May 2010 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you for the incredibly detailed and fast reply.

It must take more time to write all this stuff than to do the work but thanks for outlining the considerations. I have too much respect for all the work that you do on your designs to loosely hack away but I will try to model something somehow to make my way. I may be back after I get started but for now thanks very much!

Re: 2 pi tower variants [message #62989 is a reply to message #62987] Sun, 30 May 2010 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When modeling, be sure to use something like Martin King's spreadsheets that will show you internal standing wave resonances, duct pipe modes, etc. Many box programs aren't capable of this, and only a few will even show the vent pipe resonance. We need to be able to see that and the influence of internal quarter-wave modes too. Otherwise, your model will look smooth but measurements may show some spikes in the lower midrange that your model didn't include.

Re: 2 pi tower variants [message #62992 is a reply to message #62989] Sun, 30 May 2010 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks again, Wayne. I know it's dicey to stray from the results of your hard work and that the pitfalls are many.

I switched to a non-MS OS long ago and have not been able to run the sheets (they were simpler and even then I needed hand-holding). I was poking at hornresp (runs in wine) to try to find some modes but I admit to not ever trying this kind of geometry in there so I need more work to even trust what I think I'm doing (let alone the validity). Fumbling in the dark.

I can do pieces, but not the whole thing with proper driver and port locations. Haven't been able to nail the Z humps you posted elsewhere, either. Pretty sure I might be misapplying this model, too (but I'm having a sort of "fun" Wink

index.php?t=getfile&id=186&private=0
  • Attachment: schem.jpg
    (Size: 12.58KB, Downloaded 7251 times)
Re: 2 pi tower variants [message #62993 is a reply to message #62992] Sun, 30 May 2010 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It looks cool, that's for sure. You just gotta test it to see where those peaks fall, either with computer models and sims or cut-and-try physical models and measurements, or both.

What OS are you running now? I run all flavors of MS stuff, (almost literally) from Win98 to Vista. Really do, still have an old copy of Win98 running on one box because of its smaller footprint. I'm also running Ubuntu v10 (just upgraded from v9) and use OpenOffice on it. It has an Excel clone that runs spreadsheets pretty well, even has a VBA implementation that runs most of the macros. If you do file I/O in macros, some VBA rewrites are in order but basically, spreadsheets just work in most cases.

Re: 2 pi tower variants [message #62994 is a reply to message #62993] Sun, 30 May 2010 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well, at my skill level, I'm counting the first two honks and not going high-order.

I mean, to state the obvious, making the volume into anything other than what you designed makes it something else so the question is what makes sense (no answer here, yet). I don't pretend to be making the same thing but more trying to save the most of a good thing while still fitting something into the guy's house.

The Helmholtz is cool, and to radically paraphrase you, a tall skinny box is gonna have modes and they'll need attention...and damping...and care locating port and driver.

Re OS, yeah linux here (slackware). Some *buntu's on other boxes. Probably should have kept a box running the other stuff but it was a partially religious conversion that was strongly motivated at the time Wink

The macro things are always extra work and the older I get the more I respect people that just use whatever tool they need to do their tasks. Life's too short for everything to be a hobby. Convert your files a few times and it's tough to be excited about the world requiring another switch to new formats...which gets back to the OT zealotry thing Smile

hornresp doesn't run crash-free in wine but it runs and always seems to even with all the changes so it's another thing in the world to be really grateful for (like pi speakers, this board, and all the time & energy you spend educating). You must not sleep at all.

I'm probably gonna need to post over on the hornresp thread to figure out how far afield i've already strayed.

As long as I'm here, thanks for making such great things available at such economical prices as the 2 pi stuff. I might not have any idea what I'll end up with yet, but I know that it'd be quite a few dB down if it weren't for your stuff. It makes my whole little gift plan even possible and that's just plain cool.

Re: 2 pi tower variants [message #62996 is a reply to message #62994] Mon, 31 May 2010 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
It's quite nice of you to introduce a friend to good tube sounds with excellent dynamic speakers! My reaction, for whatever it's worth, is try to build a pair of the Pi 2 Towers according to spec, as an experiment, if nothing else. Very ez to do and inexpensive for what you get. Ask your friend to try them out- if they truly value the sound, the size will not seem quite as important. If they don't care about deeper bass, the std Pi 2 is wonderful and has enough bass for good listening. Can't deny the laws of physics...
Re: 2 pi tower variants [message #62998 is a reply to message #62996] Mon, 31 May 2010 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
What is the required enclosure volume to load the 10" woofer in the standard 2 Pi?

Thanks

Norris
Re: 2 pi tower variants [message #63001 is a reply to message #62998] Mon, 31 May 2010 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Hi Norris

Very rough, std 2pi is around 1.8ft3 / 50 L, tower 4.5 ft3 / 128 L

And Matts I like the trojan horse plan. We slip the tower in there as a gateway drug and once the monkey is on his back I'm all set! Problem is, his gatekeeper kaboshed it getting in the door. Good thinking, though. Gotta scheme more...maybe I build the towers to spec and lug them somewhere so he can hear them and then it's his problem to get them in his door.

And it's not like I'm any philanthropist--I broke my leg and couldn't drive (clutch foot) and he bummed me an auto-trans truck so I owe him.

Previous Topic: Low Volume Speaker
Next Topic: 4 PI by Andy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:16:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout