Home » Audio » Speaker » Advent Loudspeakers
Advent Loudspeakers [message #62876] Wed, 26 May 2010 12:44 Go to next message
Mavare
Baron
I have been given a set of Advent Loudspeakers that a friend had in his basement. They don't work right now but I was thinking if I could find someone to work on them, I would take them. They are from around 1968 as far as my friend can remember. Do you think they would be worth salvaging? The cabinets look fantastic if a little dusty. The light colored fabric on the front is even intact and without stains. What do you think? Should I try to get them worked on?
Re: Advent Loudspeakers [message #62877 is a reply to message #62876] Wed, 26 May 2010 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Advents usually sound good. Get an estimate on the repair from your local stereo shop. If it's affordable, I'd say go for it, with the following caveat:

Your biggest problem, I think, is going to be obtaining replacement parts. If drivers need to be replaced, chances are the repair shop is going to pick parts that physically fit but that may not be compatible. If that is the case, the speaker won't be original and that's a crap shoot. You would be at the mercy of the technician, and whether or not he chose compatible and quality parts.

So I'd ask what was going to be replaced as part of the estimate. If it's just crossover parts, you are in luck. Or if the drivers can be repaired by simply replacing surrounds, that won't change their electro-mechanical characteristics, so that's OK. But if they have to replace any drivers, I'd be careful. That might be a deal breaker.

Re: Advent Loudspeakers [message #63261 is a reply to message #62876] Fri, 25 June 2010 17:44 Go to previous message
rockhound is currently offline  rockhound
Chancellor
I have a pair of Advents in storage that I'm saving to fix someday. They were excellent sounding before my roommate blew them out. So I'd say yes, but of course that might depend on the price it would cost to fix.
Previous Topic: The Bumma (tentative title)
Next Topic: Fix or chuck it?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:37:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout