Home » Audio » Home Theater » Lossless Video Compression
Lossless Video Compression [message #62661] Fri, 14 May 2010 09:01 Go to next message
Dizzy is currently offline  Dizzy
Baron
Are there any lossless compression formats for video, and if not, which is the least lossy of all of them? Preferably formats that will play in a modern DVR via USB.
Re: Lossless Video Compression [message #63204 is a reply to message #62661] Sat, 19 June 2010 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chuckles101 is currently offline  Chuckles101
Chancellor
As far as I am aware of, there is no such thing is loseless video compression. And the type of compression you choose depends on your needs. This isn't my expertise so I am not quite sure what format you will need.
Re: Lossless Video Compression [message #63607 is a reply to message #62661] Sun, 01 August 2010 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No. There is no such thing. DVD and BR all use compression for video. They don't redraw every single frame from scratch, they redraw what changes from the last frame, unlike analogue which there is a new picture 24 times a second.

But what I think you are asking is how to encode a DVD or video into it's original quality. I think they use MPEG-1 or 2. Not too sure though.

Re: Lossless Video Compression [message #63867 is a reply to message #62661] Wed, 18 August 2010 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
addictedtosound is currently offline  addictedtosound
Chancellor
DVDs are currently encoded using the MPEG-2 format, stripping out any redundant or irrelevant data.As already said there is no such thing as lossless compression.
Re: Lossless Video Compression [message #63870 is a reply to message #63867] Wed, 18 August 2010 10:14 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lossless compression does exist, it just can't compress as tightly and it is rarely used because of that.

Previous Topic: My project
Next Topic: Projector tv lifespan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:18:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout