Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Sound proofing a room
Sound proofing a room [message #62625] Wed, 12 May 2010 18:18 Go to next message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
How would I go about sound proofing a room in my house? I am installing a sound system into my family room which will be like a media room and I want to sound proof it so it doesn't disturb the rest of the house or neighbors. What should I use to sound proof the walls?
Re: Sound proofing a room [message #62638 is a reply to message #62625] Thu, 13 May 2010 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
candoon is currently offline  candoon
Baron
I have a similar issue going on, my biggest problem is that the area going into the dining that is fully open (no way to close it off). Oddly I have a door into my hallway, go figure. Laughing
Re: Sound proofing a room [message #62640 is a reply to message #62625] Thu, 13 May 2010 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dizzy is currently offline  Dizzy
Baron
Would a room that is sound proofed with the intention of not disturbing others also be sound proofed from sound coming into that room? Could you use this to make a quiet room?
Re: Sound proofing a room [message #62923 is a reply to message #62640] Thu, 27 May 2010 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, of course, the best treatments aren't cheap, and probably you wouldn't want to perform them unless you owned your home. But for something that is relatively inexpensive and provides real benefit, try using mover's blankets to absorb some of the sound.
Re: Sound proofing a room [message #63127 is a reply to message #62923] Thu, 10 June 2010 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chuckles101 is currently offline  Chuckles101
Chancellor
I believe that completely sound proofing a room can be very expensive indeed. You would be better off moving to another room or turning down the volume. A good set of headphones may also do the trick.
Re: Sound proofing a room [message #63377 is a reply to message #63127] Sun, 11 July 2010 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JiminyCricket is currently offline  JiminyCricket
Baron
Firstly, kudos to the OP for thinking about this issue. Noise disturbances are an easy way to alienate neighbors (or get into trouble with noise pollution regs).

I can add styrofoam to the cheap end DIY options. Ask around for people buying white goods to save you all that good (free) white stuff.

I guess this may be a better tip for future projects as it will take time to collect enough, unless there is a way to buy it directly from a supplier.
Re: Sound proofing a room [message #63507 is a reply to message #62625] Sat, 24 July 2010 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good old fashioned Fiberglass with whatever linen covering you want to use.

Are you doing this to correct sound issues or do you want the room dead? What kind of compromises in aesthetics are you willing to make?

Re: Sound proofing a room [message #63682 is a reply to message #62625] Thu, 05 August 2010 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
Good and useful thread for me. As I am currently living in my folks' converted garage apartment I haven't been able to do much musical for fear of upsetting the neighbors!
Re: Sound proofing a room [message #64076 is a reply to message #62625] Wed, 22 September 2010 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forceblack is currently offline  Forceblack
Esquire
My best friend is a musician, and oddly enough he is also a carpet installer. He agrees that professional soundproofing is out of his budget, and hes always used carpet pad+carpet to soundproof his studio areas, and personally I think it works very well.
Re: Sound proofing a room [message #64115 is a reply to message #64076] Mon, 27 September 2010 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
I don't see why not! That is a great idea, actually. It may not be all that pretty, but I am sure it is great for soundproofing.
Previous Topic: Flutter Echo
Next Topic: Decor and aesthetics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:43:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout