Home » Audio » Home Theater » Projector tv lifespan
Projector tv lifespan [message #62623] Wed, 12 May 2010 18:15 Go to next message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
How long do projector televisions last? I heard that they don't really last that long is that true? Also how does the quality differ from a plasma? I've seen projector televisions in the past and they just don't seem to have that great of quality.
Re: Projector tv lifespan [message #62903 is a reply to message #62623] Thu, 27 May 2010 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dizzy is currently offline  Dizzy
Baron
The only projector TVs that I have seen weren't very good either. I didn't see the point either-it was used just as a show off thing in the basement.
Re: Projector tv lifespan [message #63647 is a reply to message #62623] Wed, 04 August 2010 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soundbuzz is currently offline  Soundbuzz
Chancellor

Oh lord I had a projector! It wasn't cheap too but over time I found it to be useless unless you have a room with your projector set up already. As for me, I don't have that many rooms to spare, so I used to bring the projector out when I want to use it and keep it back in the storeroom afterwards. What a hassle! So I'm sure you can guess that that projector is currently collecting dust, which reminds me I gotta go bring it out and wipe the dust off.

Projectors can be fun with kids around though. My brother's kids just LOOVE it everytime I bring the projector out and screen cartoons on it when they come over. I have no use for it now because my brother migrated to NZ 2 years back. Sad

Projectors...don't buy them if you're not a school teacher. Even then, the school pays for projectors so that is irrelevant! LOL.

The lunatics are in the hall.
Re: Projector tv lifespan [message #63873 is a reply to message #63647] Thu, 19 August 2010 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigMacAndCheese is currently offline  BigMacAndCheese
Baron
I see the logic in the points here but have to say a few words in defence of video projectors. If you limit their use to say sports finals or premiere movies they are something special. The major nuisance is having to replace the bulb quite often.
Re: Projector tv lifespan [message #64056 is a reply to message #63873] Mon, 20 September 2010 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wonderwoll is currently offline  Wonderwoll
Baron
My folks have a projector and screen and it is fantastic. Much better quality pictures than any TV I have seen, though perhaps the ambience tricks me! They also rig up an outdoor theater when the weather is good and use the side of the house for a screen.
Re: Projector tv lifespan [message #64083 is a reply to message #64056] Thu, 23 September 2010 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazzlover is currently offline  jazzlover
Baron
In general, I think projector TV would be quite an experience. It's fairly flexible too. You can adjust screen size depending on the size of the audience.

The sharpness of projector would depend on the resolution of the projector itself. Lumens is also a factor. The higher the better. Add to that the quality of projector screen.

Long term I think projector TVs are more expensive. The cost of the bulb is the biggest chunk. But what about accidentally dropping it while moving it around?

Re: Projector tv lifespan [message #64089 is a reply to message #62623] Thu, 23 September 2010 13:47 Go to previous message
Configurate is currently offline  Configurate
Esquire
Honestly I've never liked the picture quality of rear screen projector televisions. They may be big but the picture was just too poor for me. Also they do have a short lifespan because so many things can go wrong with them.
Previous Topic: Lossless Video Compression
Next Topic: Home Theater in a Box
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:02:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout