Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Guitar Style
Guitar Style [message #62571] Mon, 10 May 2010 07:35 Go to next message
Drummer is currently offline  Drummer
Chancellor
I know of the Bass Guitar, but are there any other styles of electric guitars? Can you purchase a guitar that you can adjust for a more classical sound? I was told once it's how you play the guitar.
Re: Guitar Style [message #63785 is a reply to message #62571] Tue, 10 August 2010 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taylor-Sue is currently offline  Taylor-Sue
Chancellor
Finally something to ask the man in my life about and be interested in the reply Very Happy. He says the sound depends on many things, including the wood, pick up used, scale length and frets. I have no real clue what that all means but basically yes, they will sound different depending on various factors.
Re: Guitar Style [message #63807 is a reply to message #62571] Tue, 10 August 2010 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm not sure what you are asking, but here is a simple breakdown of guitars that sound different:

All this depends on the wood used on the body and the fretboard. With the fingerboard Rosewood and Ebony sound dark and maple sounds brighter.

Single coil (fender) - Thin, tinny, metallic sounding (this can be altered)

Humbucker (gibson) - fatter, more resonant and natural sound

Super-Strat - combines the features of both, popularized by Van Halen. Usually uses the wood choices of gibson, the look of a strat and includes both a humbucker and two single coil pickups. There are other config. But this description shows you what they are trying to acheive. They make them with light wood and dual humbuckers too.

7-String - Usually uses the heavier wood (like Basswood) and gets an octave lower.

Baritone - These guitars use a very long scale neck and much thicker strings. They are uncommon in my experience.

Semi-acoustic/hollow-body - A guitar that is part solid and part hollow, with pickups. I like this type of sound. Ted Nugent and Alex Lifeson use these regularly.

Nylon - Uses nylon strings. No finger buzz from the strings. Have a flatter sound. need piezo-electric transducers/pickups.

Steel guitars - use regular metal wound strings, typically on the bottom four strings. sound bright and metallic, but tone rich and thick too.

that is the basics. There are different types of acoustics with different tones based on the body shape and size. The Dreadaught is the bigger one that is common. In my opinion that is just to put the instruments in different aural spaces for recording and to make them use use different over and under tones when heard.

Re: Guitar Style [message #63865 is a reply to message #62571] Tue, 17 August 2010 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DMW is currently offline  DMW
Esquire
Drummer wrote on Mon, 10 May 2010 07:35
I know of the Bass Guitar, but are there any other styles of electric guitars? Can you purchase a guitar that you can adjust for a more classical sound? I was told once it's how you play the guitar.

Do you mean literally a classic type guitar - nylon string? Or are you just speaking of a standard electric Spanish with six metal strings tuned an octave higher than a bass? If you are looking for multiple tones check the Internet for modeling guitars. Line 6 make a number of them and they will emulate electric and acoustic guitars of varying types and tonalities. Some guitar synths, like the Roland VG systems, allow you to take an electric guitar and use it to play octave lower tones which sound very much like a real bass guitar.
Re: Guitar Style [message #64130 is a reply to message #62571] Wed, 29 September 2010 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3dfreak is currently offline  3dfreak
Chancellor
Band players that I know mention bass guitars (4 strings), lead guitars (4 strings) and acoustic guitars (six strings). These are all electric guitars. Their bodies are of solid material in contrast to hollow ones used in classical guitars.

A classical guitar has six nylon strings. Three of them (strings 4, 5 & 6) have metal wrappings. Its arm is usually shorter than those with steel strings. You can add electric guitar pick up to a classical guitar. In fact some classical guitars have built-in pick ups.
Re: Guitar Style [message #64855 is a reply to message #62571] Tue, 23 November 2010 19:28 Go to previous message
compguy is currently offline  compguy
Chancellor
A friend of mine has a semi-solid body electric guitar with GHS strings and BMG pickups. I have a solid body with the same strings and pickups. His sound is a little different, because of the semi-solid body style as opposed to the solid that mine has. Everything will affect the sound.
Previous Topic: How Much Volume Do Drivers Occupy?
Next Topic: Programs Like Audacity?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:27:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout