Home » Audio » Source » Do they still sell
Re: Do they still sell [message #63754 is a reply to message #63538] Mon, 09 August 2010 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taylor-Sue is currently offline  Taylor-Sue
Chancellor
You will also need to source a place to get a new stylus if needed. I know this was what tripped up my husband when he had lovingly repaired a player picked up real cheap at an auction.
NeedleDoctor.com [message #63770 is a reply to message #63754] Mon, 09 August 2010 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Do they still sell [message #64749 is a reply to message #63754] Thu, 18 November 2010 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scoot is currently offline  Scoot
Baron
I was in Big Lots yesterday and saw record players for sale. They were designed to look old, and, being in Big Lots, were not fancy.
Re: Do they still sell [message #64998 is a reply to message #62551] Tue, 30 November 2010 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jane66 is currently offline  jane66
Chancellor
They are available. They are not available anymore at retail stores like Wal-Mart, etc. You're best bet I think is to put an add in your local newspaper under "wanted" or "looking for" and see if someone has an old one to sell. If they do, it shouldn't cost you very much.
Re: Do they still sell [message #65041 is a reply to message #62551] Tue, 30 November 2010 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Yes, I believe some companies still make those, as there is still a demand because they are a CLASSIC piece of equipment. They may be on their way out in nearing generations, unfortunately, as such players are unheard of to young people these days. I'm sure you could find some good deals on eBay.
Re: Do they still sell [message #65047 is a reply to message #65041] Wed, 01 December 2010 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't believe turntables are anywhere near on the way out. If anything there is a resurgence in their use. Just saw a show on the television last month about a company that presses vinyl (I forget which one now). They said that within the last several years they are pressing nearly 75% of the amount of vinyl they were in the the early 70's due to demand from the younger generation, and no, not for scratching on rap tunes.

Not to mention ar RMAF this year nearly EVERY room was or had the capacity to spin vinyl.

In fact, you can get most of the newer releases in most any genre of music on vinyl now. Go to amazon and look for yourself. Go to the band's website for direct sales and most likely you'll find a vinyl option or three for each title.

Now as for price, well they range anywhere from $100 to $300K. Several entry level decks include one from Project, Rega, and MMF for less than $400 including cartridge. Pretty reasonable really. I would stay away from anything from Big Lots or such as those things will ruin any vinyl you might have.

Which leads me into another subject. Used vinyl can be a great deal, unless that estate sale find ends up being "worn out" from somebodys $30 JC Penney player. Then you throw it up on your $1000 rig with a $1000 cart and destroy the stylus. Must be careful about used vinyl sometimes. I've bought a handful from
Earth Wave Records with great success. And we have a local used CD store here in town that sells used vinyl. I've never gotten a bad one from there yet, and if i did he'd take it back. So look for local used stores.

Plenty of places to get new vinyl. Like I said Amazon, Hastings, and the like. For a better HUGE list of used and new pressing look at Acoustic Sounds out of Salina, KS. They sell decks as well and are very helpful.
Re: Do they still sell [message #65090 is a reply to message #62551] Wed, 01 December 2010 21:11 Go to previous message
Hoptoit is currently offline  Hoptoit
Baron
I have been to many stores lately and I have not seen a record player in years (10+ years). How neat it would be to have a record player again. I don't think DJ's use them do they? I think they have all switched to CD's or something newer.
Previous Topic: Dumb question
Next Topic: Putting tape to computer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:46:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout